Ben, Home Buyer in Apple Valley, CA

Been in escrow for 80 days!

Asked by Ben, Apple Valley, CA Thu Oct 8, 2009

My Realator and do not see eye to eye! When I call he never returns calls, when I e-mail no reply, and when I ask for a status/ up date on the home in escrow he gives me the wrong information. So I began contacting the listing agent for questions and updates. I realize this is not protocall but I do need to know the status on my escrow. I then tried to contact the Broker only getting her assistant. She advised me she would look into the matter. The sad thing is that all of the people involved are from the same real estate company! What can I do or who can I contact to get the right answers?

Answers

5
Ben
You need to talk with your escrow officer to find out when it will close, or what remains to be completed for close of escrow (COE).

The most common reason for escrow delays are buyer financing. Your Realtor should be talking with the buyer's Realtor to find out the status of the financing. Also, in most cases, at 80 days, the only thing that is a problem is an underwriting question.

I am puzzled because you write that you are contacting the listing agent ....if you are the seller then the listing agent is your agent. The agent representing the buyer is the buyer's agent.

You might want to re-post with an update if you do not receive satisfactory answers.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Well since I already told you to go to the Broker & that doesn't seem to be helping, the 2 other people who you can go to & try to get better updates through or who could DEMAND answers for you from the agents involved is YOUR Mortgage Loan Officer OR the Escrow Officer.

You surely have the phone number for your own loan officer right? While you're on the line with them, ask for the name & phone number of the Escrow officer. They know what's going on because they are key players in any transaction.

I hope you get the information you need from either one of them.

emilyknell1@yahoo.com
Hi Ben,
Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your escrow.
Have you checked with your lender when your loan is going to reset?
Talk to your lender if you haven't.

You can talk to escrow directly, you are paying for their services.
How long did your Sales contract state you have to close?

Is it a short sale or REO?

Talk to your agents local board of Realtors® and tell them that you are not getting any representation.

Keep us posted on your situation.
I know being in escrow without issues is still stressful, but be strong.

Jes Sierra, B.Sc.
Realtor®
Why are you in escrow for such a long time, is there no closing date on the contract?
Find out about the finances and contact the bank.
Ask for the BIC Broker IN Charge, or manager.
Why did you select this particular broker, if it because he is popular, then consider this, how much time does he really have to give you?
What about the escrow co., contact them.
You can file a complaint with the realestate commission.
It really bugs me to hear things like this, good luck to you.
You have done the right things thus far. If the broker is unresponsive, you can contact the local board of Realtors. Give it a day first, though. The broker should be able to give you answers, and should be very concerned that you have not had responses from your agent.

Depending on how closings are done in CA, you should also be able to get the info from the closing attorney's office. In SC, the buyer pays the attorney's fee, so as the buyer's "employee", they might actually be quicker in getting back to you with information. This may not be how it is done in your state, though.