Home Buying in Sunnyvale>Question Details

Alfonso Ocam…, Home Buyer in Outside U.S.

Beeing foreigner, I want to buy a house in Sunnyvale (Palo Alto) for around 80.000$ 100.000$ in cash without visa or green card. Is that possible?

Asked by Alfonso Ocampo, Outside U.S. Mon Sep 10, 2012

I want to move to Sunnyvale permanently.

Are other conditions required to do so?

Thank you!!

Help the community by answering this question:


Claudia Muller Gravelle’s answer
You must have either a visa or a green card to purchase a home with a mortgage.

Should your payments stop being made, the lender needs to know how to find you. Without either of those documents you are 'off the radar'.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
Hi Alfonso,

I noticed your reply to Nancy's comment below:

"Yes I am pretty aware that prices are very high however on the internet I found out a couple of houses below 100K$."

I would just caution you if the property listings are from RealtyTrac, which is a company who advertises "foreclosure listings" on Trulia. RealtyTrac's primary objective is to separate you from your money in exchange for providing information most any Realtor® can provide you for FREE.

Please see the blog post below to start off on the right foot and stop "getting the run-around"!

MLS Data Accuracy – Where to search if you’re “without Realtor®”

If you really want to have the most up to date information for ACTIVE listings team with a local Realtor® who can set you up with an automated search for what you can afford.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
Hello Alfonso,
I am a manufactured home sales agent. I can get you in to a very nice manufactured home for that price. Give me a call would like to show you what is available in your price range.
Joyce Lavrar (408) 466-5569
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 22, 2012
Sure, please contact me.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
By ethelmertz888 you sure know how to make a visitor to the USA feel welcomed. Alfonso, you may want to consider a manufactured home closer to the San Jose area. There are several MH communities there and it's not that far from the Palo Alto/Sunnyvale area.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 25, 2012
Alfonso, you're in the wrong market, sister. You can't even buy a mobile home in east palo alto for that price. You would have to move to Arkansas for that price. Lol
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 25, 2012
Hi Alfonso

$80k to $100K is not going to help you buy even a Mobile Home in Sunnyvale.


Best regards
Web Reference: http://www.ruthandperry.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
Foreigner? Alfonso talk to me.........I can help.
Web Reference: http://talk2fabian.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 11, 2012
Thumbs up to Claudia and Steve for some very astute answers.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
Marcy is spot on. You will definitely be looking for a manufactured home. You're looking at a pretty high end market. Either that or you will have to change your buying criterior and think about using that cash as a downpayment and a monthly payment you can live with.

But if you do buy a manfactured home you should be very careful. Don't buy one that was built before June 15, 1976 as there are many health and safety issues you will need to consider. Additionally, they may be very difficult to get your money back out of.

Call or email me if you would like additional info on a manufactured home. onthelevel@cox.net or 760 815-6977
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
Thanks for this "big" details. Here in Europe we don't build "manufactured homes" This may make it really cheap and quality is quite questionable I guess. Thanks a lot for the explanation. According to my understanding manufactured home are known as mobile homes as well. isn't it?
Flag Mon Sep 10, 2012
The only way that is possible is if you buy with cash and buy a mobile home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
I'm afraid you are priced out of this market... Look at the listings...
Web Reference: http://talisrealestate.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
Unfortunately, the budget you have for housing is inadequate to purchase a home or condominius here in Santa Clara County. If you truly wish to move to Sunnyvale or Palo Alto, you will need at least $600,000 for a condo or town home and about $900,000 for a detached home. Because so many other legal residents have cash to purchase a home and there are many buyers, I am afraid even an offer of all cash will not secure any huge discounts for you at this time. Work with a Realtor to help you purchase a home. Please note that buying a home with all cash is the only way nonresidents can purchase a home here in the United States.

Thanks for inquiring and good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
If a put an amount is because I red in an article that the limit to get a green card is around 500.000 dollars. I wanted to make sure that is possible to become resident with a lower investment. Yes I am pretty aware that prices are very high however on the internet I found out a couple of houses below 100K$.
Thanks a lot for the hints!!
Flag Mon Sep 10, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer