Guy22000, Home Seller in Blacklick, OH

Basement floor cracks in new build home

Asked by Guy22000, Blacklick, OH Thu Oct 11, 2012

I am buying a new build home from a reputed builder and the house is in the final stages of getting ready. I recently noticed that the basement floor has developed a crack. This is a long crack and less than a tenth of an inch wide. The builder has assured me that the home is structurally sound and such cracks develop due to ground settlement.The builder has assured me that they'll fill up the crack at the one year anniversary inspection with some material which will expand in the crack and seal it.

Will these cracks widen in the years to come and cause issues when I try to resell the home ? Should I worry about the quality of the home? Do I need to get it inspected ?

Answers

7
Foundations & concrete floors do crack as a result of settlement, however most builders put "expansion seems" in the poured concrete floor to allow for this. The crack can be repaired as suggested by the builder but the time & manner in which your builder is of concern. The crack should be addressed immediately & an addendum written into the purchase agreement & warranty that future maintainence of this crack shall be covered by the builder for the life of the structure as it is a pre-existing defect. Waiting until the "1 year anniversary" is waiting for the 1 year warranty to expire.

If you have any questions about the quality or structure of your foundation....contact Everdry Waterproofing of Columbus Ohio for a free foundation accessment.
Contraction cracks on new concrete the size of a basement floor are normal and expected.
I agree with Aaron that even though it's a new home, it's a good idea to have an inspection. Although, I'm a Realtor with an architectural/construction/engineering background. ...and typically cracks in basement floors are normal and non-structural. The walls and the footings below your walls are what is holding up your structure. The floor is just to have a finished surface typically. In any case, it's a good idea to have someone look at it and give you an opinion.
Guy,

Win Home Inspection

Pro Check Engineering

Professional Property Inspection Consultants
I would definitely get it looked at. Basements hold up the house over the years and are under a lot of stress. They can get cracks in the floor and they can get bigger over the years if they're not taken care of. See if you can make some calls. http://harmancontracting.com.au/basement-living/
Flag Fri Feb 20, 2015
Mr. Sims makes a great point about the home inspection - I'd be happy to pass along a couple recommendations for you.

However, an alternative might be to ask the builder to provide you with documentation from a qualified/certified engineer to verify the basement floor is sufficient per the building code. This is another way to get a third-party approval without paying for a full home inspection.

Again, I'd still recommend getting the inspection. The peace of mind alone is worth the $295.
I agree with J. Aaron. You should certainly get an inspection, even on a new build. I always recommend to my clients to have their new home inspected....twice. That being said, concrete cracks. Let me repeat that: concrete cracks. Some floors have control joints to control the cracks but EVERY floor or garage will eventually crack somewhere. It's just a matter of how bad and how many/much. The width is important and also if there is any heaving or movement that is VERY important. However, many initial cracks are merely settlement cracks. Less than a tenth of an inch? That's nothing, Imo. Any crack that is 1/8" or less isn't much to worry about. I built my home as well and within a couple of years or less I had two long (6') cracks of about 1/8". It's annoying, for sure, but with my experience I know it's not structural.

Get an inspection. FYI, these are my opinions and I am NOT an inspector and I'm not represent you in any way.

New home or not, ALWAYS GET A HOME INSPECTION! I can't say it enough, ALWAYS!! I had clients buying a brand new home and we had an inspection just 3 days ago on it. Nothing major was found, but a few places on the roof for instance some flashing wasn't there, or maybe there was a gap. No HUGE thing, till after 4-5 years when enough water had gotten in behind the siding/under the shingles to start causing a problem that you couldn't see. But with the inspection, the guy caught it and some other small things, pointed it out, gave us a report, we gave to the builder and bam, fixed. Inspections run around here around 350-450 depending on the size of the house and other criteria. It is WELL WORTH IT!! New home, old home, always get it inspected. If the Inspector knows what he is doing, he'll be able to tell you about the crack and if the builders fix should alleviate any issues.
Best of luck!