Home Buying in Columbus>Question Details

New Buyer, Home Buyer in Columbus, IN

Basement finished without permit

Asked by New Buyer, Columbus, IN Tue Nov 12, 2013

Me and family really like one house in our area, but it seems owner has finished basement without permit. They are not willing to show it to county office and are willing to negotiate price. Please suggest what all issues I may face as new owner and how I can fix it post closure. Also is it possible for old owner to show basement as finished post closure?

Answers

4
The less the county knows the better! If they, or you, have the county come out to reassess, all that will do is increase your property taxes, which will increase your monthly payments.

Are you working with a Realtor on the purchase of this home? If not, reach out to me, and I would be happy to guide you through this purchase.

Avery Garrett, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Kaiser
317-721-2274
soldbyavery.net
Search for homes for sale in Columbus here: http://www.soldbyavery.net/idx/?idx-q-Locations=Columbus
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 12, 2013
The only thing I would suggest, which is typical of any home purchase, is to have it inspected by a professional licensed home inspector to uncover any issues.
Flag Tue Nov 12, 2013
The issues at hand are quality of work and work to code... which is basically any plumbing, electrical, structural framing work, and any hidden issues with the basement foundation walls. Some sellers avoid the county because they will assess a higher tax value on their home, the code enforcement office is there to help protect current and future owners from shoddy workmanship.
Will you buy the home at the negotiated price, if the basement improvements were to dissappear therefore conforming to what ever criteria you have imposed?
-
Inquire at the county office what the process if to bring records up to date. It has been my experience in FL that a fee is paid, inspection by county completed and everything is 'good to go.'....and as Avery pointed out, the real purpose become clear....taxes go up.
-
However, when governing authorities are invited into the home, this could start a process of significant distress. They could clear the basement easily but that water feature in the back yard can cause the house to be 'red' flagged. This investigation into the back yard exposes the firewood under the blue tarp is also a county violation, and that shed looks permanate instead of mobile aind temporary...and yet anohter issue.
-
It all about tax revenue.
-
Make your decison according to what you value and is important to those you hold dear. Hire an inspectore to evaluate the quality of these imporvements.
-
I've looked sellers straight in the eyes and asked, "Do you want that 2nd kitchen to disappear? I can assure it will be GONE when you do your final walk through. Sign here."

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor FL
727.420.4041
Move to the Front of the Line
(http://FirstLookHomes.us)
I hope you are working with a Realtor but if you are not you should consider hiring one right away. (Please let me know if you need recommendations).