Home Buying in Henderson>Question Details

Joyce, Both Buyer and Seller in Dilworth, MN

Ballpark number: how much $$$ does a swimming pool add to these homes that are selling around $100,000 without a pool?

Asked by Joyce, Dilworth, MN Thu Dec 13, 2012

Answers

4
Believe that the 20-25,000 is about right according to the appraisers I have spoken with. The real value comes in when you do not have additional money or out of pocket to put a pool in when you purchase a home that does not have one. Obviously when you purchase one that has an existing pool, your loan will include this. Otherwise like in a new home, that can not be added to the loan. Again lots of things to add to the equation when buying a home. Have a great day! Can call if you want to discuss more details on values ...702-591-0300 Lenora
Probably about $15-$20,000.
An Appraiser told me this:
It would depend on Landscaping, Fountains, quality, decking, etc.
It loses value every year, and eventually becomes a negative.
Hi Joyce,
In a general sense this is a difficult question to answer. A lot depends on the condition of the home you are purchasing. I have seen homes with a pool sell for less than those without one and I have also seen homes with a pool sell for as much as $20,000 more than those that don't have one. This makes your question very subjective. Homes in Henderson area are selling for quite a bit over asking price right now as our inventory is very low due to "cash" buyers, who for the most part are investors. For a variety of reasons, investors tend to want to purchase homes without a pool, so it is quite possible that you could purchase an equivalent home with a pool for less than one that has one.

If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to call me at (702) 321-0131 or email me directly at sffeller1@gmail.com.

Susan
Appraisers generally add $20,000 or less to the appraisal if the home has a pool. If the pool is in need of replastering, it may not add anything to the value. Here are several things to keep in mind - most pools in empty homes are drained. Sometimes they are covered over with wood. If you see homes like this, just figure that you will have to spend $5,000-$7,000 to get that pool replastered. Usually home appraisers don't give anything extra either if the pool has spectacular waterfall effects, landscaping, etc.