I only cancel if I consider it a safety issue for folks driving or - that I should be with my family. As Silvia mentioned, that doesn't happen often but did happen just few weeks ago and I canceled the open house.
When I stopped by on Monday to check on things, my sign was in the neighbors yard 2 doors down. There were limbs in the yard so I helped coordinate with the owner to get the clean-up crew out.
The next weekend I had 18 groups through on Saturday and 22 on Sunday. I was shocked because my other listings have been way slow. (It was still drizzly weather that weekend.)
I don't know that it will do much to increase traffic, maybe one person. Hey, if you only have 2, that's 100% increase! It will make the property more memorable.
During seller markets, I did OH in snow with 20 visitors.....but, not today. :-(
Particularly now......even serious buyers have confidence that there will be enough inventory from which to choose, that it is not necessary to go "today" and many will delay if weather conditions are unpleasant. There isn't the same "fear of loss" that the property will be gone. Exceptions might be the relo buyer who is in town this weekend, and must make best use of the time......regardless of conditions. But, that person is probably w/ a Realtor and will view properties based upon matched criteria, not OH status.
Fortunately, we have had a mild winder in NJ, so far......knock on wood...or knock on steel (anyone from England?) The mild weather has encouraged more showings and more buyer activity, with or without an open house.
I sit an OH once it is advertised, but I once had the sellers insist they would now stay home, believing no one would come due to weather conditions. We did have visitors and the sellers politely moved out the family room as it was shown.
Yes, Ruth, weather definitely impacts OH turnout and the market in general. Sellers get concerned about liability with icy conditions. A good reason for an OH host to use lots of sand or salt to melt away the ice......and have lots of towels for messy shoes.
I oppose canceling an OH unless the conditions are just so bad that it very dangerous for the agent to drive. i.e. A Noreaster with trees down and power outages justifies a cancellation. Less than desireable weather may make the OH less productive, but definitely does not justify a cancellation. The buyer who may come will be discouraged and that could cost a sale.
-26 degree wind chill is brutal........ perhaps in addition to hot chocolate and coffee, a Realtor could provide hot pocket hand warmers, too!
Good luck at your OH today, Elvis.
Nice to see you on Trulia, Ruth, Sylvia and Patrick!
Elvis, if you hadn't posted your response I would have emailed you to find out. I'm glad to hear it wasn't a waste of time. It's almost impossible for an agent to cancel an open house but really easy for a buyer to decide not to go.
Thanks everyone for your input.
What, Are you thinking?
If the buyer is willing to go out in life threatening weather, to view your home. They will make an appointment with their Realtor, and warm up the snowmobile.
For us, raining days do not stop people from coming out and see the houses. Sometimes we have more buyers through because they can't be outside hiking or biking or mawn the lawn, so they come and see houses.
For me, I can cancel the open house all the way through Friday noon, when we can't change the paper ad anymore. Once an ad is on the paper, I hold the open house no matter what.
I think the only time I would cancel an open house after it's advertised will be if the sellers are sick and have to stay home for some reason; or if the sellers insist (you can't hold the house open unless the house is open). But I do educate my sellers that once I advertise it, it's on.
You don't want to disappoint somebody who came all the way from who knows where to see a house and then found out the house is not open. That's just not right.
I came from Taiwan for my graduate study. I once walked the whole football stadium to the admissions office for my work-study program and I was the only one who showed up - tured out there was a blizzard and I had no idea. It WAS cold.
Hi Elvis - I used to work in Evanston commuting from Chicago via train. Nice place. I love windy city!
I held an open house and had 12 groups come through with two serious buyers talking about where their furniture could go! (As soon as I finish this email, I am heading to the altar!!!)
It was 70 degrees (the warmest in months) and every one was in a good mood.
Hard to type with my fingers all crossed!
Good luck all!
I had three courageous and hardy groups of people through the Open House... two attended with agents and one on her own... serious buyers, and brave at that. so you can never tell...
it's warmed up significantly (to 5Â°) and the sun is out... so it's t-shirt and shorts weather around here.
Glad to meet you. :-)
Next time I am in Chicago.....:-) (It was supposed to be next week....but, it's not happening!)
Ruth....That means I won't get to meet you in Febr in the windy city, either. Where's Patti? Ruth, Sorry to hijack your thread.. :-)
If it were yesterday I would have stopped by to say hi. I was in Evanston and it seems I have been a lot lately.
I don't know CA or especially Marin, but what if there was an earthquake or wildfires?
I HOPE we get SOME BUYERS chiming in!!!
I may be sitting alone... a disappointing turn out for my client... and I'll sit with my laptop and scroll through Trulia. But I'm not going to cancel... the advertising's been done, and the client is expecting the open... and the client is not being inconvenienced, since she works on Sunday anyway, she's not at home... so Open House Here I come!
I'll let you know how it went.
I once got frost bite from running errands because I wasn't in the car long enough for the heat to kick on. I had to dig it out of two feet of snow and my butt got wet. The car had frozen vinyl seats. That was 25 years ago and it is still a pain in my you know where (scaring but no nerve damage as proven by the current sensation of pain in cold weather).
A couple weekends ago I stopped into two open houses during very muddy slushy weather. I hadn't planned on it or I would have worn foot ware that was easier to remove. The open houses were packed with people.
But YES Deborah, I would say conditions are hazardous. Much of the sloppy deep snow melted just enough to turn into ice that is too thick and too cold for salt to work on today. If a homeowner wasn't diligent in shoveling that last inch of snow, or snow that was blown after shoveling, there is nothing you can do about it now. I slipped twice walking the dogs last night and I think one of the patches was in front of a For Sale home.
Hi CJ: We haven't met but you are in line for a Best Answer from me.
Patrick: You crack me up!
The web reference is a pdf that I put together from a USA article for friends and family because my hubby is now working in Siberia. Even with the coats, I don't think my dogs are getting their walk today.
The following is a quote from last year's CBC News in Canada:
"Once the wind chill makes the temperature feel like â€“28 or colder, exposed skin can freeze in under 30 minutes. When it drops to â€“40, frostbite can occur in less than 10 minutes. Take it to â€“55, and you're in danger within two minutes. Anything colder than that and Environment Canada warns you shouldn't go outside at all."