Melinda, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

Average per SF cost of new construction inside the loop?

Asked by Melinda, Houston, TX Wed May 21, 2008

I am adding on to my house in Houston. I guess this would be parallel to new construction SF cost but am not sure. I am getting an estimate that seems high to me, but the builder is quite reputable.

Answers

5
Debra Barker’s answer
Melinda I am a dual licensed Broker and Texas happens to be one of my States. I am a Broker in Texas and my office is in Cleveland, Texas. I have a lot of clients in Houston and new construction per square foot is generally around $1.26 right now. If you have a reputable builder please remember that this is a quote on an addition, not new construction and these custom builders can't compete with NATIONAL MASS BUILDERS. It isn't worth the heartache and drama to deal with a DISCOUNT constructor that will cause more harm than value.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 21, 2008
Melinda,
A lot of your answers are coming from Realtors outside of your area and Realtors are not builders. We can quote average sq ft price for resale, but in the Heights, that is even difficult with out knowing the home.

For you Realtors out there that are trying to figure out what I am saying , the Heights has homes built from the turn of the century( the last one) to today. Some of the homes have been restored some have not. Some of the homes are large some are not.

Melinda we do not even know if your addition will be contemporary, Victorian, high ceilings , a bath, a kitchen, all of this has a lot to do with the rice of the addition. A sleeping porch vs a bath room ?

A little more information and I can forward to some builders and hope they answer.

Not quite comparable to new construction cost in the MLS as the cost of the property is included there and your property is already obtained and very high.

Hoe we can get some builder to assist

Marg
The area that you are asking about can range from $150 yo over $300 psf. Give us more details so we can give you a better or more detailed answer.
Wow! That is a huge area and includes many types of homes and sizes of homes! It could be $150/sq.ft. or over $300/sq.ft. Can you narrow your criteria? Townhomes would be very different from single family homes, as well.
You might want to obtain an appraisal before you go overboard on all the particulars. Many will over build be years prior to ever getting any money in return.
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com