Home Buying in Atlanta>Question Details

Kerrthomas33, Other/Just Looking in Atlanta, GA

Average cost of new residential construction in metro atlanta?

Asked by Kerrthomas33, Atlanta, GA Thu Dec 19, 2013

Answers

11
Thomas,

Lot Cost
- Your Lot Cost will vary by where you want to build;
- A 1/2 Acre in Buckhead will run you $400k - $450k... which means you need to build at least a $1.2M+ home to make the numbers work.
- A 1/2 Acre in Woodstock or Acworth can run you $35k to $75k...
- It is all about location.

Bricks and Sticks
- If you want to build a single-story home on slab you can build for as low as $50 - $60 SF
- If you want to build a two-story home with nice finishes on slab you can build for $70 - $90 SF.
- If you want to build a custom home with above average finishes you can build for $100 - $135 SF.
- To add an Unfinished Basement to any of these figure $35k.
- The ranges obviously depend on the level of Exterior Finish Selections (e.g. Brick vs Stucco, Wood Window vs Metal Clad or Vinyl, etc.) as well as Interior Finish Selections (e.g. Appliance Package, Flooring, Light Fixture Package, Tile, Cabinets, Trim Package, etc.)

Lot Cost + Bricks/Sticks + 10% - 12% Builder Fee + Realtor Commission = Potential Sales Price

You really need to understand the Market where you are going to build. Using Recent Sold Comps will help you understand what the Market will bare for a similar Home... Start with the Potential Sales Price and work backwards so you don't over pay for a Lot or over specify the finishes.

I am a Licensed Realtor and former Home Builder so don't hesitate to call if you want to dig into the details.

Cheers
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 20, 2013
Hi Kerr,

The cost of new construction here will vary depending on your desired location. Depending where you would like to live it could cost you from $150K to $600K and up.

What part of the city would you like to be in?

Tyler Willis, REALTOR®
Keller Williams Realty Intown Atlanta
621 North Ave NE, Suite C-50
Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404)541-3500
Direct: (678)656-5524
tylerwillisintown.kwrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 19, 2013
In the $200k above and below depending on what part of town. I can send you a listing of whats available as I type. Call me 404.457.0869 or email your desires to j.jones-garrott@kw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 19, 2013
What is the average cost per square foot of a treated wood sun deck in Atlanta, Ga.
I simply ask the price of a treated wood SUN DECK, not a house, or a lot or anything else. A simple sun deck?? Hand rails, maybe 16' x 30'?
Flag Thu Mar 20, 2014
All great answers, the best advice I could give you would be to talk with a builder. It would provide you with some great analysis of what is all involved in the construction process and as well as cost.

I can set-up the meeting with you, me and builder as your earliest convenience. Give me a call, if you would like to utilize my services.

ACCESS COMMUNITY REALTY
BROKER
MONIQUE CUNNINGHAM
678-691-4344 OFFICE
678-949-3102 CELL
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 20, 2013
Lee makes a very good point - in case you were considering building a home. Even if you own a suitable lot, your cost figures will not match John Wieland's for example, or any other builder because they have economies of scale built in and as volume purchasers, they can get materials at much better prices than you.

When you see construction cost figures, they are based on professional builders and experienced contractors work, and have little relation to the costs incurred by the odd owner who tries to build his own home.
Thanks! I contacted John Wieland's company about building a custom built home on my personal property
; I was informed that they are not currently building private homes outside of their developments. Too bad....
Flag Wed Jun 18, 2014
Impossible to answer - answers below hit the major reasons.

Let's not also forget to include the cost of labor. In the past, much of the "bull" work was completed by laborers and they were paid in "unconventional" ways. With the Feds running wild on immigration issues, much of this wrok force is gone - and the less effective and less motivated ones replacing them cost more and do less.

So for a better answer, get very specific
Web Reference: http://www.hmtatlanta.com
DEPENDS ON SIZE AND LOCATION THEN WE COULD PULL CURRENT AVERAGES WITH AND WITH AMENITIES AND EXTRAS I.E. BASEMENTS, SIZE OF LOTS ETC.
Cost only? Labor, taxes, materials, insurance and permits. No profit markup.

That defines cost, right?

So that cost is different for you than it is for John Weiland.

Ask a better question.
Web Reference: http://intowninsider.com
The question is way too broad for a meaningful answer - you need to rephrase it for the area you're interested in. Also the type dwelling - SFH, Loft, TH, Condo High Rise, etc.

If you want SFH prices in areas on the Southside like Clayton County for example, you might find the average new construction home price is $160K - conversely new construction in East Cobb, say in the Pope High district is $550K. Area has a major impact and Atlanta is incredibly segmented.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
RobertWhitfield.com
TheHomeBuyersRep.com
Corporate Relocations | New Construction | Luxury & Investment Properties
Hi Kerri,

BIG QUESTION. Metro Atlanta's markets are quite segmented.

If I were to ask this question to an appraiser the response would be "what and where" is the property. From there, the appraiser would look at comparables inside the community and nearby as well.

Therefore, to give you an informed response I would like to ask you what type of property you are interested in and to know which locations that you favor. That would give me something to start with.

Also, hi-rises have not been built since 2008. So, nothing new there.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment. I welcome a conversation at your leisure.

Patricia Queen
Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Midtown
404-388-0400
patricia@followbrightstar.com
http://www.queensellsatlanta