Home Buying in Davis>Question Details

Home Buyer, Home Buyer in Grass Valley, CA

Austism spectrum needs of my child.... does the MIND Institute in Davis have programs in the schools there?

Asked by Home Buyer, Grass Valley, CA Thu Apr 16, 2009

I am considering relocating to Davis. I need a special day class for my high IQ, austism spectrum child. Does anyone know if the MIND Institute has enriched the schools of Davis and made it a good spot for this population? It would be a factor in my buying a house here.

Answers

2
Sactorentermom’s answer
Oh goodness! Although Davis has an excellent reputation for educating typical kids, I would absolutely not recommend them for autism kids. My son has autism. We briefly lived there, but moved a couple of years back when it became apparent they would aggressively litigate requests for certain special services for these kids. UC Davis MIND institute is located in Sacramento (not Davis). Sac County schools have a better track record for autism kids (and so does Elk Grove).
The davis school district runs an inclusion program where special needs children are in the same classroom as their peers with the assistance of an aid. There's no special ties between Davis schools and MIND institute.