Question Details

Carmen, Home Buyer in Concord, NC

Aunt as realtor?

Asked by Carmen, Concord, NC Mon Jan 14, 2013

I am a first time homebuyer and I am really going through an emotionally draining situation. My aunt who is a real estate agent (she has another full-time job and does this on the side) volunteered to help my family and I find our home. She has involved the rest of my family in the process as well without my permission and will bring my mom, grandfather, etc. to showings without my knowledge or permission. So all throughout the showing I have like 5 people putting in their 2 cents about the neighborhood, price, etc. This is very irritating because nothing seems to please them.
After viewing a couple of foreclosures she told me that she would no longer show those type of properties to us and is insisting that we should buy land and that build so we can all ( mom, grandma) live happily ever after on it (not!). She had me sign a agent agreement earlier on in the relationship. What should I do? I am really unhappy and my husband is beyond frustrated at this point.

Answers

5
It's a difficult situation, but one you have to resolve in order to move forward. You should talk with her and let her know the current relationship isn't working and that she needs to take off her "aunt" hat and put on her "realtor" hat when working with you. It needs to be more professional and less personal. When showing properties to other clients would she bring others along uninvited? Would she refuse to show them properties they were interested in? Maybe she is completely unaware of your feelings and by letting her know, will resolve the problem. Good luck.
Margaret Moore
Maybe a private talk with her broker would help. Explain that you feel overwhelmed with too much family input and that you do not want to offend your dear aunt, who means so much to you, but couldn't the broker find a way to ease her out of the situation without hurting feelings. Maybe he could tell her that there might be a conflict of interest or some such thing? You'll have to speak delicately and this assumes the broker is not overly avaricious and would be willing to give up the contract you signed with your aunt.
Talk to her - and express your frustration and discuss the possibility of being released from the agreement she had you sign if you and your husband feel you'd be better served by another agent. This is your search and purchase - and though just my opinion, involving the entire family without your consent is overstepping - again my opinion. Also, as a full time (my family would say over-time) agent, I think you are best served with the services of a full time agent. You should be able to arrange a referral for your aunt if you allow her to introduce you to the agent should you decide to make a change. That should take some of the sting out of it on the family front.

Good luck to you - tricky situation.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
As Barbara said, you are in a tough spot. I think you should have a heart to heart with your Aunt and explains she is working for you and needs to show you what you want to look at and that you do not want the other relatives involved. If she won't agree you should speak with her broker as agency agreements can be terminated under certain circumstances.
Hi Carmen,

Well, it appears you are in a tough spot with one of two choices. Either you have a meeting with her voicing your concerns and setting some new ground rules reminding her that you and your husband are purchasing the property, that you want to see foreclosures and that all showings be private or you can ask her (or her broker) to release you from the Buyer Broker Agreement you signed.

Best of luck,

Barbara Grandolfo