Home Buying in Fresno County>Question Details

Alexandra, Home Buyer in Fresno, CA

At what point would a realtor be contacted?

Asked by Alexandra, Fresno, CA Wed May 9, 2012

My husband and I are looking to buy a home within the next year or so (1-2 max). We know where our ideal home would be located and what our budget is, but we have no idea where to begin.

Answers

4
Great Question! Your first move should be to contact a mortgage lender. You can start where you bank or hold ivnestments. This is the time to check your credit, speak with a lender, and determine wbat you need to do to be READY. If there are any steps you need to take to be pre-approved, do them.

Once you know your price range, then think about areas. Drive through some potential communities on the weekends, stop in at open houses, and explore the locations. Use data on Trulia to help you assess what areas you can afford.

About six months before you are ready to buy, get yourself a pre-approval letter from your lender. Then, start interviewing Realtors to begin searching inventory.

I wrote an article on this issue. Chec it out: http://1sandiegohomesales.com/361/
It would be a good idea to see what you quailify for as right now is a great time to buy. If you have some credit issues to fix then you can get with a lender to see what has to corrected before you are ready to buy a home.
You can reach me at 559-270-8078 melaniegarabedian@att.net
Talk to a Realtor now. They can help you better form your desires for a home, and even give you some options that you have not thought of yet. Speaking to a Realtor can also make the search feel even more real.
After that, the Realtor can but you on his back burner, just keeping you informed about what the market is doing, and emailing you properties that match your needs. When you are ready, the Realtor can take a more active role in your search.
I have worked with clients for 3 years, just keeping them informed, and when they were ready, we easily found the right home, because all the prep work had already been done.

Good Luck
I'd be happy to help you. It's a good idea to find someone you trust and are comfortable with soon, rather than wait until you are rushed. You may find that you can buy sooner than you realize. Please give me a call if you'd like to set up an interview.
Laura Corey
License #01303203
Guarantee Real Estate
559-949-SOLD
Laura@guarantee.com