Home Buying in Royal Oak>Question Details

Gary, Home Buyer in Royal Oak, MI

Ask a question...

Asked by Gary, Royal Oak, MI Fri Jun 1, 2012

When buying a home, are the Agents showing the home responsible with telling you known problems that they discover when walking through the home, like mold, asbestos, or a possibility of lead paint in certain parts of an older home.

Answers

6
Absolutely.....what good are we if we can't bring you value?
The listing agent is responsible for disclosing any known defects. But often the question is what's known. Agents aren't structural engineers or home inspectors. They generally aren't going to know about major problems unless: (1) the problem is clearly obvious, or (2) the homeowner has disclosed it. So, while agents do have a responsibility to disclose, you absolutely cannot rely on an agent to perform your due dilligence as far as a property's condition is concerned.

As noted, there are federal laws dealing with the presumption of lead paint in older homes. And, as noted, there are mold spores in all homes.

Bottom line: If an agent discloses a problem . . . fine, then you know about that problem. But assume the agent knows absolutely nothing. You need a home inspection.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Gary,

Every home has mold in it. The question is whether it is toxic mold, or not. In order to know, a mold sample is taken and tested. Or air quality testing is conducted.

Personally, I point out potential areas of concern that I notice, but with the idea in mind that the buyer is going to have a professional home inspection during their inspection contingency period. I am not qualified to comment on the construction of the home, or potential physical defects.

As for lead paint, you should be careful if you are doing any sort of renovations, like removing walls, on homes built before 1978. Take a look at the EPA's site on lead for more information. http://www.epa.gov/lead/

There are also things that I typically recommend a home buyer in Royal Oak evaluate during the home inspection, like radon testing and sewer scoping. Many older communities along the Woodward Corridor have older sewer lines that need to be snaked and checked for sags, cracks and blockage.

I sit down with every buyer before we start looking at houses and help them to understand what they should expect during the buying process. The inspection phase is an important piece of the puzzle.

Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
Most agents will point out any visable problems as you're going through a home. The sellers disclosures should explain anything else. As Rosemarie stated foreclosures are exempt from disclosure. I always recommend to my buyers that they have a private inspection completed on a property. There is a lead based paint disclosure required on all sales. It is possible for any home built prior to 1978 to have lead based paint on the property.

I hope this helps,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
586-709-8465
kpaytas@mirealsource.com

I received and email about your question.

My name is Evan Weber and I am an agent at Keller Williams in Royal Oak, Michigan.

When a person list a home for sale they have to fill out disclosures regarding the condition of the house. including any known deficiencies.

It is very common that any home built before 1978 probably has lead based paint in it. This issue is remediated by painting the walls. Both parties are required to sign a document.

If you have any other questions I would be happy to help. My office is in downtown Royal Rak and I do plenty of work in the area.

Evan
Eweber@kw.com
Hi Gary,

When we show a home, we bring along the sellers disclosures, this states any issues they may have had with, water leaks, roof, or basement, ect. Also the disclosures will give us ages of heating, roof, air, ect. Foreclosure homes will not have disclosures, as the banks have never occupied the property, bought as is. As agents, never have lived in the home, we would not have full knowledge of any issues with the home, this is why you would have a home inspection. If you have more questions, feel free to give us a call.

Rose Tibbles, Tibbles Team (734) 812-6745

http://www.rosetibbles.com