Pq, Home Buyer in 95051

Aside from structural, home, termite and chimney inspection, should we ordered lead inspection?

Asked by Pq, 95051 Sun Oct 2, 2011

we're buying a house built in 30s which's been updated well maintained. We ordered structural, home, termite and chimney inspections. Is lead inspection needed? What other inspections should we considered? Do you have any recommendation?

Answers

9
Hi Pq, If the home inspector found any abnormalities with the electrical and plumbing that are concerning, I may recommend those to be considered.

Lead inspections are not very common. However, with a home that was built 80 years ago I would naturally suspect lead pipe, lead paint, possible lead ducting/sheeting or the wide use of asbestos.

My focus.. Electrical, Plumbing and Foundation followed by the environmental lead/asbestos issues.

The disclosure package may identify a number of these items have been rectified.

Due diligence. I don't believe you could be too cautious.

Michael
http://LosGatosHomesandRealEstateBlog.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 2, 2011
You may consider a video sewerline inspection. I have never had a client that asked for a lead inspection. If you feel that a lead inspection is needed then you should do it.

Dot Chance, Realtor®
Certified Distressed Property Expert – CDPE®
DRE License #01494182
Keller Williams Realty World Media Center
http://www.DotChance.com
818.339.7712

WHEN YOU THINK OF REAL ESTATE...Think DotChance.com! My business thrives from your referrals!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 2, 2011
Hi Pq,
Most people don't bother getting a lead inspection because they already pretty much know whether or not the paint has lead based on the age of the home. You will be paying for information that you already know. Most homes have nice coat(s) of paint that cover the old lead-based paint.
Pq,
As the others have pointed out, it problably has some lead in it somewhere, I don't think you need a special inspection for it, ask your home inspector he might have a good idea on it.
At your service,
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
DRE# 01397256
Like everyone says.

Pq, if lead is a concern to you, do not buy a home built before 1976. I am not a scientist, but I do know that old homes can have lead paint in some rooms and not others, outside but not in, and the bottom line is that old houses probably have lead in them.

In the early 20th century, a company called the "National Lead Company" came up with the "Dutch Boy" that became the face of paints. It was a high quality paint, and they had mixing buckets that you would fill to one line with the lead base and to the next line with pigment.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 2, 2011
Hello Pq,
Unless you plan on repairing some walls after testing for lead paint then I would not advise an inspection. A regular structural inspector will note if there is evidence of lead pipes.
Most times lead paint used on walls has been painted over and over again so is now encapsulated behind the newer paint. The only time you would truly need to be concerned is if the paint begins to peel or if you are knocking down walls to renovate and expand.

I would also suggest checking with the EPA for any known contaminants surrounding the property or neighborhood.

Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 2, 2011
Hi Pq:

Considering that you already have a Realtor, my suggestion is always to consult your Realtor for the best advice. Let your Realtor be your guide in the types of work and inspections that would be required for your home sale.

As for lead paint or lead testing, my suggestion is NOT to do this. To be frank, as the others have noted, given the age of your home its pretty certain that lead does exist in the home--whether it be in the paint or in the solder between the pipes and duct work. In addition to lead, there's also probably asbestos in portions of the home as well. Completing these tests only brings attention to the presence of hazardous materials. If the buyers want to conduct this testing in order to determine what they must do to the home, then let the buyers make that investigation--the seller is under no obligation to do this.

Most importantly, however, if you have not already done so, make certain that your home has the proper smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the home. You can purchase combination smoke/carbon monoxide detectors at the local hardware store, and then install these in each of the bedrooms and the living spaces near the heater and the garage.

Grace Morioka, SRES
Area Pro Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 2, 2011
I'm not aware of anyone that has ordered lead inspection for a residential purchase. Chances are if the house was built in the 30s, the paint used back then contained lead.

Say you order a lead inspection, you're likely to find lead in the paint if it's the old paint. If the house had been repainted new, most likely the newer paint has little or no lead.

There's lead in our environment that came from other sources. That's the price we pay for living in the city.

Why pay for something when you have a pretty idea whether or not it's there already unless you want to find out how bad it is.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 2, 2011
Pq, what does your agent recommend?

Good advice from Dot. I just experienced my first sewerline inspection. it was a process as there was not a clean out. Fortunately, a solution was found and the lines were clear.

There are so many inspections you can order, usually the basics are what you have had, along with a roof, and then based on what was discovered in the report you go from there.

Another item is Knob and Tube wiring and the insurability of the home

You have an agent, discuss this with your agent and they'll be able to assist you through your inspections.

All the best to you.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 2, 2011