Katy, Other/Just Looking in 77010

Asheville has become out of reach for us. What area/town could be considered an up and coming "Asheville"?

Asked by Katy, 77010 Sat Aug 14, 2010

Answers

10
Katy, let's face it...there IS no other up and coming "Asheville". If you want Asheville, you just have to go for it! There are a LOT of options here. Do what you have to do, and get here!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 5, 2012
Hi Katy,
Another area to consider is Mars Hill (Madison County), just north of Asheville. Mars Hill is a small college town, Mars Hill College, and if you stay close to town it is only a 10 minute drive to Weaverville and 20 minutes to Asheville.
The population of Mars Hill is around 1700 to 1800 and is rural. The downtown is small but quaint. There is a nice new grocery store, drug store and many other convinences. You do have to go the Asheville for bigger shopping. Home sales have traditionally been slower in therefore the home prices are lower.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 25, 2010
Hi Katy,

There are several areas to choose from around Asheville. Most of the surrounding towns are no further than an hour or so from downtown Asheville which makes easy to come into Asheville most days. I have really enjoyed living in Black Mountain, NC. It is approximately 20 minutes from downtown Asheville. It is rich with culture yet intimate like a small town. I would love to fill you in on more of the details of the different areas.
Please feel free to contact me anytime,
Shanda Boettcher
828.242.7777
shanda@hbgrouprealty.com
I think Boone, NC is the best place to buy mountain property at this time. It's normally a second home market and the economy has made it impossible for many folks to maintain a second home---many homes are on the market for discounted prices. The scenery there is spectacular because it's a much higher elevation than Asheville. There's a large university, great restaurants, ski slopes (which you won't find in Asheville), a great medical center, and a huge arts community. Let me know if you need a referral to that area. I lived there happily for many years!
Web Reference: http://www.sheltertoday.com
Hi, Katy,
I'm not sure if you mean in the Asheville area or anywhere in the country. If you mean near Asheville, I'd highly recommend the Black Mountain area. It's like a miniature Asheville with coffee shops, the arts and all those things you think about when thinking of Asheville. You can still find a home for less where you can walk downtown. Worth checking out! Just let me know if you need any help.
Hi Katy, Asheville is a very unique town for sure. I would suggest you consider Hendersonville because it is just 20-30 minutes from Asheville yet it offers eveything you need for daily life and lots of outdoor recreation at places like DuPont State Forest. Home prices have become more affordable in all the areas surrounding Asheville but, historically you get a little more bang for your buck in Hendersonville. whatever choice you make I wish you all the best. Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.johnabshire.com
Dear Katy,
Your question is very general and makes it difficult to be specific. So here is a general answer. Most property we look at will always be valued by the market. The fact is all real estate is local. So for any given area when we find a house that you feel is your dream home based on what is important to you, that same house would price differently in a different location. For example. Home prices in Asheville are higher then Hendersonville. Haywood county is lower and Old Fort and McDowell County are lower still.

There are other factors such as your work, neighborhood, Distance to downtown, other amenities. If you look at these factors they will change the price of any apples to apples home placed in different locations through out the Buncombe County area, and surrounding WNC area.

If you are looking to build a new home you might even find that it will not appraise in certain areas. I would encourage you to make the question more specific. then begin looking. You will often find that once you decided what is important to you that the home may be right under your nose. I have found that Good deals are out there. But you have to look carefully and be ready to move the moment they arrive on the market.

So get your financing ready and make sure you know what is important to you.
Web Reference: http://www.rksells.com
Hi Katy,
In the last few months most of Asheville has become more affordable. If you can give me an idea of what price range you would be comfortable buying in I'd be happy to send you some options. Interest rates remain a record lows.
Candy
Candy Whitt & Associates
Web Reference: http://www.wncHomeTeam.com
Hi Katy,
Most every city pales when compared to what Asheville can offer. That being said, you might try Swannanoa, Fletcher, Fairview, or Weaverville which are still in Buncombe co. and 10-15 minute drive to downtown Asheville. Hendersonville is a very nice smaller version of Asheville.
Sybil Riddle, Broker/ Realtor, Beverly-Hanks and Associates
Katy,
You might want to visit Waynesville or Maggie Valley. They are much smaller, but close enough to Asheville - 20-30 mins. to allow you to go to Asheville whenever you want.

Check out my website for a few listings. With your permission I will set you up on a automatic search of homes in my area. Feel free to call me on my cell: 828-400-6295