Home Buying in Alexandria>Question Details

Imok Urok, Home Buyer in Washington, DC

As home buyers, can we sign agreements to work with one agent in Virginia and another in Maryland?

Asked by Imok Urok, Washington, DC Fri Jan 3, 2014

We are looking at home in two comparable communities in different states. We have talked to agents we like in both Virginia and Maryland. The ones we like specialize in their markets and are not licensed in both states. They want agreements to work exclusively with them. Would the agreements extend across state boundaries or can we have one agent for VA and another for MD?

Help the community by answering this question:


This is guidance from Virginia on the requirement of a buyer brokerage agreement - link is below. It is based on intent to use the particular agent as "your" agent in a transaction. A buyer brokerage agreement is not required just to have an agent show you a home, which has unfortunately become a standard misconception. The guidance attached clarifies that point. This law is causing all sorts of problems in the market place that are completely unnecessary. I hope you don't mind I am piggy backing on your post to add this information because its important for both consumers and agents to understand and your question is a good place to post it since it is a hot topic.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 3, 2014
Absolutely and neither or the Realtors you are working with should have any issue with this. The agreements do not extend across state boundaries and should be specifically limited to the areas you' are working with them in (counties, city, neighborhoods etc.) No one should sign a buyer broker agreement that extends throughout a state, I would also suggest there is no reason in the world to sign an agreement for more than 30-60 days, they can always be renewed. If the agents your considering working with don't want to do this, go find another, You may want to read the link below.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 5, 2014
I think Chris' answer below is on-point but to that I will add that this. Most buyers are unaware that the representation agreement is actually with the broker and not with the agent. Although your agents may be agreeable to such an arrangement the broker might not (for whatever reason) wish to engage in such a relationship.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 5, 2014
Any buyer's broker agreement can be limited to any HOA, condo association, ZIP Code, City, County, State, etc. So yes you can.

Will be able to assist you in mid-January or so. I am starting up my own real estate company. Bob Lepelletier - VA Broker - bob@bobthefinder.com or (703) 310-7880.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 3, 2014
Congratulations on finding not one, but two agents you really like! You can sign an exclusive agreement with each one (in Virginia it's the law to have a signed agreement before they can show you properties), it just needs to specify you are looking for the purpose of a "Virginia primary residence" or "Maryland primary residence" in each respective agreement because while the agents you are speaking with are not multiple licensed, the agreement is technically with their Broker who could have licenses in both states. Maryland laws, taxes, are all very different than Virginia to the extent each County in Maryland has its own contract paperwork so it's good to have someone you feel comfortable in advising you. Best of luck!

Karen Hall
Principal Broker, REALTOR VA/MD/DC
@home real estate
Alexandria, VA
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 3, 2014
I would recommend using a different agent in each state. I'm always amazed how much the real estate laws differ from state to state. Highly recommend using 2 different agents!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 3, 2014
Yes you can. You may find an agent licensed in both states if you do a Google search....

Misty Mount
Long and Foster
757 274 6333
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 3, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer