Home Buying in Detroit>Question Details

sfhehe1, Home Buyer in Detroit, MI

As an outstate investor, how can I find a good local agent, contractor and property manager company, how can I trust them

Asked by sfhehe1, Detroit, MI Sun Aug 17, 2014

Answers

3
Good Evening,

My name is Charlene and I am a licensed Realtor that have worked with Investors globally.Your question is the first step in protecting your greatest asset - Your Money. So many Investors have been taken advantage of because they did not do their "Due Diligence"

The internet is a powerful tool if you know how to use it and it is quite easy. Once you start inquiring about getting an agent to assist you, you will start hearing from agents saying they can help you. You should be able to Google that persons name and read information about them, good or bad. You also need to have a list of questions to ask them.

Normally an experienced agent will have at their access contractors and property management companies and you will want to do the same thing, Google Everybody!!!!!! The Internet will tell you things they wont.

If I can be of additional assistance to you, please feel free to contact me, I don't mind answering your questions.Good Luck

Charlene Johnson, Realtor
eXp Realty
18481 W Ten Mile Rd., Suite 201
Southfield, MI 48075
(313) 574-7633 - Cell
888.501.7085 Ext. 109 - Toll Free
(248) 595-8966 - Fax
cjohn3615@gmail.com
On the scale of disillusioned consumers, the group found at the top are property management companies. This is driven largely by the owner not reading or understanding the contract. When the year two costs kick in, they seem to all have been effected by amnesia and believe they have been betrayed.

If you are prone to amnesia, trust will prove to be a FOREVER issue.

As an investor who intends to RENT or LEASE real estate, you need to be fully knowledgeable of the complexities involved. These complexities can be related to the real estate, the community, the insurer, the renter and in some cases non-performing tenants. In each and every event the owner, that means you, will pay a marked up fee for services used.

That is simply the reality.

How should you proceed.
#1. Don't get the bums rush. Property management people are very busy, but this is simply too important to not spend the required time, or hire someone who knows the business.

#2. Ask specific questions regarding fees, finding tenants, refurbishing, evictions, screening and renewals. and property management company revenue streams.

#3. Read the contract and understand it so you can explain it correctly to a friend.

#4. Understand and have an exit startegy

Start with a multi-dimensional real estate professional in the location of the property.

Or just ask them, "Can I trust you?" Yeah, that should work.
Trust is difficult when you're not present to meet and oversee. Research each individual/business prior to signing any contracts. Check with the local BBB to see if any complaints have been registered and how the complaints were handled. Real estate agents have to abide by state laws and complaints are registered with that state. If possible it is advisable to make at least one trip to meet who you're working with and inspect the work for yourself. In the end the decision is yours so choose wisely.