Home Buying in Sarasota>Question Details

Steven Appol…, Other/Just Looking in North Port, FL

As a home inspector, is it worth while to invest in a supra key/ekey.

Asked by Steven Appolloni, North Port, FL Fri Jan 24, 2014

As a home inspector, is it worth while to invest in a supra/E-key? and I also heard from someone if an inspector has the supra key, they can NOT let there client in the house with them unless there realtor is with them? And does the supra key give you the code for a lock box that is an older style with a manual number dial or do you have to call to get the lock box code? And does the inspector need to call the home owner ahead of time to let the home owner know he is coming at a certain time or does the realtor tell the listing agent?

Answers

7
Steven, here's my outlook. I have not seen a home inspector with a Supra key yet. As a buyer's agent I contact listing agent to confirm the home inspection appointment with seller. I also tell all buyer agents to do the same on my listings. Even if my buyer can't make it to the inspection I will be there to let in the inspector and review findings upon completion just as if the buyers were there.

Things vary by area of the country. You may find value in joining the local board of Realtors Association as an "Affiliate" member if they allow such for better recognition and exposure among Realtors. Go in and talk to them!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 24, 2014
It would be a great benefit for a home inspector to have his own Supra key but along with that comes the responsibility to follow the rules associated with it. I work with inspectors that have keys and we normally set up the appointments for them to gain access. If the Buyers want to be there during the inspection process, then as a responsible realtor, I will be there for the deration and insure compliance.
I agree with James, I'll not hire an inspector that doesn't have a supra. I do not attend most inspections unless the buyer wishes me to. And my time is way to valuable to run all over town just to open a door.
In our market, it is much more convenient for inspectors to have access to Supra/E-key especially when returning to the subject property to pick up radon tests. Agents here attend the home inspection so they can always unlock the door for the inspector which is fine too. It seems many inspectors had exhausted themselves running around chasing down and checking out keys, therefore many end up making the investment to save time, therefore money.
Yes, it's worth it to invest in a Supra eKey. The showing instructions are often different for each home. There is a Supra ibox for the listing agents that have chosen to invest in that security for their clients and some agents use the combination boxes. The Supra iBox tracks each time the key box is opened and by whom. There is also a code for non agents, like inspectors and appraisers for the Supra iBox. You would have to get that code from the listing agent for your Supra eKey to work. It's called a CBS or Call Before Showing code. If it's a combination box, you'd have to get the code from the listing agent. The homeowner should always be notified of showings. That is something you would work out with the listing agent.

Best wishes.

Jen and Mark Bowman
Keller Williams on the Water
941-840-0117
Absolutely you should invest in a supra key, it makes it much easier. I always attend the home inspections with my buyers or for my buyers and I let the inspector in, but once in awhile the inspector will get there before me to do the exterior and sometimes he needs to get in to turn the power on or something like that. I always get permission first.

There are some homes such as bank foreclosure that have a coded box. Most of the time the home inspection is paid for by the buyer. So the buyers agent will contact the listing agent to inform them of the day/time that the home inspection will be completed.

I send a copy of the MLS and any pertinent information to the home inspector ahead of time. Then they can review it, check county records for permits, etc. You want to always work directly through the Realtor if possible. There will be some for sale by owners that you would work with the buyer and/or seller directly.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Re/Max Palm Realty
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
941-276-6185
http://www.tammyhayes.remaxagent.com/
I don't hire an inspector unless he has a supra...

Yes, you coordinate all with the buyer's agent. All the questions you ask are determined by how the agent coordinates with the listing agent.