Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Kyle Jancove…, Real Estate Pro in Austin, TX

As a buyer, which comes first: finding an agent or getting pre-approved for a loan?

Asked by Kyle Jancovech, Austin, TX Wed Jan 25, 2012

http://www.KyleSellsAustin.com

Answers

11
Ask your friends who they used and what kind of experience they had. Get a referral don't just Google Realtors or Lenders. That is a no win situtation. Find a competent person to assist you with your home purchase.

Betina

Austin Home Girls Realty
1601 West 6th Street
Austin Texas 78703
I would say both. Or if you do not know any mortgage officer, find an agent that will introduce you to one
Getting per-approved is will make the rest of the buying journey easy for you.

Finding a Realtor, then have the agent introduce you to the lender they trust the most. It is hard enough to get to the closing table working as a team, much less with a loan officer you have never met, probably not licensed to do business in your state if you find them online.
I think it can go either way. If you get a Realtor you like, then they can put you in touch with local lenders.

sincerely,
Betina
I would say both. It is important to find out your qualifications to help us in the search for your new home, but the final rates might now be locked in for months. So much depends on your timing. I step my client through the entire process so if you would like 1st class professional help, give me a call.

Glenn Smith - REALTOR
Capital City Sotheby's International Realty
512 771 6371
I say both as well. A prepared buyer needs to have both his realtor and mortgage loan officer selected at the beginning of the buying process.
It's both. Talking with the Agent first will explain to you how the process works, and that the first step before "looking" at houses would be to get pre-approved, and then most agents will refer you to one of their preferred mortgage people whom they've had great success with in the past on customer service for their buyers.

If you go to a mortgage person first, they very rarely ask, "Do you have an agent?" because all their focus is on getting you a loan. I'm working with a few mortgage people with helping them put that on the tips of their tongues so they can forward me more buyer leads.

Either way, you can't do one without the other, so the initial call doesn't really matter.
Donna Harris

RE/MAX Austin Skyline
512-692-9257
http://www.donnahomes.com
donna@donnahomes.com
Web Reference: http://donnahomesblog.com
Kyle,

Both come first! Getting pre-approved is a very good and necessary goal. Finding that perfect home is another. A lender Pre-approval takes awhile and when it comes to time; delays kill deals! A quick lender prequalification gets me real active in the finding while we wait on that Pre-approval. Never except a no from the first lender without getting a second or third opioion. Different lenders offer different finance programs and have different qualifying standards. Knowing those finance programs can turn an occasional no into a yes.

Rodney Harris
Ready Real Estate
Realtor/Austin Team Leader
rharris@readyrealestate.com
Yes get the pre approval first
Get the pre-approval first; then you'll know what you can target as the upper price in which to look.
Hi Kyle -

Getting pre-approved should be the first thing any prospective homebuyer does. It's hard to go shopping without knowing how much you can afford to spend (hopefully my wife is reading this).

Thanks!
Terry