Home Buying in Kernville>Question Details

Gene Hacker,  in Lake Isabella, CA

As a buyer...how do you determine the safety of a neighborhood?

Asked by Gene Hacker, Lake Isabella, CA Tue Nov 16, 2010

A recent survey says that 75% of Americans believe the best indicator is the upkeep of surrounding homes...and condition of the front yards (specifically the condition of lawns).

A distant second is searching for statistics online.

Do you agree?

The condition of yards/the upkeep of a home use to be a strong indicator of safe neighborhoods. I'm not sure it has the same meaning as years ago. My recommendation is to call the local police dept. Speak with homeowners in the area. Do a google search of the area.
Web Reference: http://www.cherylgarner.com

I have been a investor and landlord for 10 years.
I have a similar criteria for where I invest...Would my wife be safe going alone at night.

Good stuff.
Definitely check out the Megan's Law information for the area where you intend to buy. You will want to contact the local police department.
I had not heard that statistic but it sounds right on- thanks Gene. I have my buyers make a decision based on the stats but also by asking them my 9PM Rule: "Would you feel comfortable having your mother walk alone in this neighborhood at 9pm?" Everyone has an instant gut reaction of yes or no!
Surrounding homes only share half the answer. Call the local police department !
I would suggest calling the local police department and asking some questions. Also, do some door knocking and introduce yourself to your potential new neighbors, asking them questions too!
I think that is true along with other factors. Checking with the police dept... can be helpful. Always research sex offenders and proxcimity to the neighborhood and compare with other surrounding neighborhoods. Also driving the neighorhood at different times of the day and night to see what is going on.

Kindest Regards,
Dianne Hicks
HomeSmart Real Estate
Web Reference: http://www.di4homes.com
That certainly is a piece of the puzzle, but also consider researching the sexual offender website to view the area and take in the road names to the local Sherrif Precint and ask them to run a check on the streets. They will in most cases tell you if many calls are made to the area.
I agree, it is mostly the condition of the house/property. Usually what you see it what you get. However, I have seen exceptions.
Hi Gene, We have to agree. We also think the condition of the surrounding block or two, the roads in the area are they all beat up or cared for. We found in higher crime areas the roads are in need of a lot of repair,pot holes etc. Survey's are great and helpful to a point then it's a drive around the neighborhood for final inspection.

Dave & Lisa
Web Reference: http://www.urhomerealty.net