Kris, Home Owner in Newtown Square, PA

As a buyer, can I bring in a real estate agent after making and offer with listing agent?

Asked by Kris, Newtown Square, PA Sun Oct 21, 2012

My brother wants to buy a house, he called the listing agent and set up and appointment to see the house. Few weeks later he made an offer with the listing agent. In the meantime, I received my PA salespersons license. Is there ANY way that I could act as his agent now? He never had an agent before, he just called the listing agent to show him the building. If it matters, his offer was denied. Can I bring a new offer to the table and represent him? Or is it too late?

Answers

2
Eric Axelson’s answer
Kris, yes. In PA, procuring cause is not the person who first showed the house, but the person who caused him to make an offer to purchase. If you are the person who convinces him to reconsider and make a new offer, then yes, you have a case, but it will take politely getting the other agent to agree.

You should ask yourself, although you are now an agent, you are new. Are you doing this just for the money? Or do you really think you have something of value to add to help your brother? I would definitely run everything by your broker and use this as a teaching experience.

Good luck and feel free to call to chat!

856.617.1212
Web Reference: http://Kurfiss.com
Hi Kris,

The original agent may be due the commission since they may be considered the procuring cause for the purchase. (They showed the property to your brother). You might want to talk to the listing agent - maybe you could work out where you could pay them a referal fee if your brother's offer is accepted with you acting as his agent?

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012