Fabien_paris, Home Buyer in

As I was researching the area, I was very surprised to see Kingston had a high crime rate. Does it spill over into Woodstock?

Asked by Fabien_paris, Wed Nov 21, 2012

Answers

8
Yvonne Wilder’s answer
Hi, Fabien!

Woodstock is one of the most interesting small towns ever! Yes, I am definitely biased, I live here!

Today, Thanksgiving, there is a community dinner. On Christmas Eve Santa comes to town - each year in a new mode of transportation kept secret all year long by the planners - and on Christmas Day there is another community celebration. To get the real flavor of our community, I suggest you take a look at The Woodstock Times, published weekly. Regarding schools and crime statistics, the local school board (Onteora) and police department can assist you - again, I must echo what my fellow Realtors have indicated, that we are forbidden by law to discuss such things as it could indicate bias and not be based on fact.

I would also urge you to search articles on other small towns in the area, like Phoenicia and Saugerties. This area has an incredible amount to offer culturally and recreationally, and just in pure, natural beauty of the land.

I would also like to say to you that real estate is LOCAL and larger cities and towns will have neighborhoods of varying desirability -as does Kingston - and that desirability is a moving target. The best examples of this are the neighborhood transformations in many parts of New York City, the gentrifications that have taken place or are currently taking place in Tribeca, The Meat Packing District, Brooklyn Heights, SOHO, NOHO, and the others. It is people who make up the neighborhoods and create the rich and varied cloth of our communities across the United States. It is up to you and your personality and goals as to where you are comfortable, from "urban pioneer" to "hermit".

If I can be of assistance in finding the right home or second home for you, please let me know! You can phone me at 845-750-4920 or email me at nowisthetime@hvc.rr.com.

Have a delightful Thanksgiving!

Yvonne Wilder
Licensed Associate Broker
DBR
Kingston, New York
I am looking to buy in Kingston. I cannot afford Woodstock and even if I could I would still choose Kingston. Kingston is a city. It has so many things to do with a diverse population. I live in a very, very safe area. I am looking for a different life. When looking at a city there will always be some more crime then a country town. You have to decide the trade off. I have driven around both and I am choosing Kingston.
I'm not an agent, so I think I can speak a little more freely. I lived in NYC for 12 years and had a weekend place in Woodstock for 8 of those before deciding to move upstate full time 2 years ago. I haven't encountered any crime in Woodstock. Kingston is a city of 25K, while Woodstock is a village of 5k--though half the property tax receipts go to out of town addresses, so half are weekend/second homes. Kingston is a 15 minute drive from Woodstock but a completely separate place. Some Woodstock residents work in Kingston and commute. Woodstock is a quiet, small town with good intentions. People are friendly and many are intent on preserving the integrity of the town. There's a great independent school and a really good elementary school. Families take their kids on hikes, skiing and kayaking on the weekends. The older community (there are a lot of retirees) shore up the Arts scene. There's music, visual arts and performing arts worth seeing. My answer is no, there isn't spill over crime from Kingston. Hope that helps. -Full-Time Woodstock Resident
Often the best resource for finding crime statistics in our area is contacting the local police departments and town offices of the areas you're considering. You'll find people very helpful and getting you the best information possible.
Fabien, It's definitely worth your while to come see the communities you're interested in for yourself. Like people, each place has its strong points and its challenges, and the trick is to find the place that's a fit for you. Kingston's a terrific small city with a vibrant arts community and a thriving uptown shopping district. Woodstock is, of course, the most famous small town in the world and with good reason. There are many other wonderful towns, all of which are worth your attention...Saugerties is home of HITS and the Garlic Festival, Rosendale hosts the Pickle Festival...Phoenicia is a top ten "Cool Town" and there are lots of other charming towns and little country burgs.

If you like the arts, gorgeous scenery, great dining and proximity to all kinds of outdoor activities, you'll like the Catskills and Hudson Valley. Come visit and figure out which town feels like home. As you can see, there are any number of great professionals who know the area and are willing to show you around.

Susan Barnett
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Freestyle Realty
Woodstock, NY
mywoodstockhome@gmail.com
845-679-2929
Fabien:
Legally we cannot answer that question because it might be considered steering you in one direction or another. I always tell my clients that when they are considering a specific location to go there during the morning, afternoon and evening.

If they find it acceptable than consider calling the local police for the crime statistics although some of that is public information.

Another consideration, amongst many, is the local school district for resale value.

The resale values can be obtained by your buyer's agent so choose your realtor wisely.

If you have any specific questions pertaining to websites or how to obtain public references you can call my office which is open till 8 PM everyday and yes including holidays. Let's just say I take selling houses very seriously.

http://www.four-seasons-realty.com
Barbara Korabel
Broker Owner
845-255-0019
The best way to get answers to this type of question is to go on line and google the information or call the local sheriff's department - 845-679-2422. Woodstock is a lovely place to live! If you need help with homes for sale or rent contact me at 845-389-7660 (cell) or barbara@westwoodrealty.com or visit my web site for an easy way to get additional information: http://www.barbara.westwoodrealty.com I would love to help you find the right house!
When it comes to any crime safety issues, it's always best to check with the local police department...