Home Buying in San Ramon>Question Details

lablrw@gmail…, Other/Just Looking in San Ramon, CA

Areas of relocation interest, San Ramon, Dublin..etc

Asked by lablrw@gmail.com, San Ramon, CA Thu Dec 6, 2012

I am originally from California (lived in Los Altos for over 20 years) and now currently living in the midwest area of the country. Possible relocation back to California and would be interested in the above areas.

Schools are not an issue, but arts and entertainment are. I am familiar with the Bay Area, but need something commutable to San Ramon area. Looking for either upscale townhome (no condo), or possible single family home. Would appreciate any bay views, but not an absolutely necessity. If anyone could provide suggestions of which areas to consider, as well as any properties/developments that might fit criteria, I would be most appreciative.

Answers

7
Welcome back!

If you are open to the Walnut Creek-Lamorinda areas, you will have many choices for arts and entertainment. It's also just a BART ride away from San Francisco. There are both upscale townhouse and single family neighborhoods. Of course you are only limited by your proposed price range. If you send refined search criteria, I can set you up on your customized search. You do have options from the Walnut Creek to Dublin areas and still have a short commute to San Ramon.

Suzanne Looker
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 6, 2012
Hi, San Ramon and Dublin are getting there with regard to arts and entertainment. There are community theaters in San Ramon and Danville where you can enjoy local plays and productions...some very good I might add. Art and wine festivals during the summer take place in most all cities in the east bay these days. If you want more night life, Oakland and Walnut Creek are good options. They are also convenient commutes to San Francisco. Oakland has some very nice condos nestled in the hills with Bay views. Most all cities across the 680 corridor will have upscale condos and townhomes and many of the towns will have quaint downtowns with community theaters.

Each town has a different feel and you'll know what speaks to you when you visit them. Depending on your price range, all towns for the most part will have the upscale townhomes you're seeking. Hope you find this information helpful.
If you are interested in arts and entertainment in the San Francisco Bay Area, then the list of areas are as follows; San Francisco, Oakland, and then Walnut Creek. Since you want to commute to the San Ramon area then Walnut Creek would be your best bet.

My sister had your exact situation and I helped her buy a home in Walnut Creek just last year. Walnut Creek has a vibrant arts and entertainment community. It is also in a centrally strategic location to Napa Valley, San Francisco, the Silicon Valley area, as well as the Sacramento area and the Central Valley.

I am an agent, but I am a homeowner first. I have purchased homes in California, Hawaii, and Portugal. Let's talk Real Estate. Let me know if I can be of any help.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 8, 2012
Welcome back to California!

I too lived in Los Altos...from 1959-1978 and again from 1989 - 1994. I've since moved to Livermore... and am continually amazed with the amenities in the area. Walnut Creek and the other communities mentioned below are all fabulous, but don't be afraid to check out the Pleasanton and Livermore area as well. We have wineries, beautiful golf courses, the Bankhead theater for live performances, Wente Vineyards hosts summer outdoor concerts, and the list goes on.

If you want to head to SF regularly for art and entertainment, there are 2 BART stations in Pleasanton/Dublin.

However, we do not have any bay views...

Sally Blaze
Alain Pinel Realtors
DRE 01856137
925-998-1284
sblaze@apr.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2012
Walnut Creek, Lafayette, Orinda, Moraga and Danville are great options if you want access to awesome shopping and good restaurants. In any of those areas you would be driving counter commute most of the time. As for entertainment, you really need to get into Oakland or San Francisco. Oakland has venues such as the Paramount Theater and Yoshi’s – if you lived in the CA 24 corridor, you’d have easy access to those PLUS San Ramon.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2012
Hi lablrw,

Since you appear to be primarily interested in arts & entertainment I would suggest you visit the website below as it covers the entire SF East Bay (and some surrounding areas): http://www.diablomag.com/Diablo-Magazine/Resources/Arts-and-…

According to the site, the four top arts & entertainment cities are:
Oakland (363), Berkeley (230), Walnut Creek (115) and Fremont (94).

In any case, the site should help you find the perfect areas for you to consider based on your personal taste.

Now another very useful tool I would suggest you look into would be Google Maps historical traffic feature.

As an example, if you click on the link located below it will take you to a LIVE real-time “Fremont-to-San Ramon” Google map that estimates this commute with current traffic:

http://goo.gl/maps/0UJAu

Now, assuming you have a specific day/time in mind you can also obtain a historical estimate of where the traffic problems will be; here’s how:

1) In the upper right hand corner of the map confirm there’s a check-mark next to the "Traffic" link so current traffic is being shown.
2) In the bottom left hand corner click the "change" link right next to where it says "Live Traffic".
3) Next Click the "Traffic at day and time" button and set the day & time you want to check for your likely commute time.

This should help to get a feel for where traffic is during each day of the week.

Best Regards, Steve
Suzanne is right on target.

The Walnut Creek area would be ideal for the commute to San Ramon as well as access to arts and entertainment. WC has the larger productions in the East Bay for arts & entertainment for shows, dance, and symphony productions.

The BART access will provide for plenty of access to events at UC Berkeley and in San Francisco. The commute to San Ramon from that area will be between 10 - 30 minutes depending on which community you choose and how heavy the traffic is on any particular day.

Welcome back to Northern California.