T.c. Cooksley, Both Buyer and Seller in 22407

Are you concerned about the new Lead Paint Laws?

Asked by T.c. Cooksley, 22407 Wed Oct 6, 2010

Answers

2
Not in the least.

Money cannot reclaim the damage caused by lead-based paint, especially to children. The current “action level” for lead in children is 10 micrograms per deciliter of blood; a survey of Seattle homes found that the average lead level on one square meter of interior carpet in a remodeled home was 35,100 micrograms.

Further:

It is estimated that the average 2-year-old child takes in the following amounts of lead each day: 0.2 micrograms (mg) from air, less than 10 mg from food and liquids, and 7 to 200 mg from dust. The lead intake from dust in a remodeled older home can reach 800 mg/day. Many children will exceed the provisional tolerable intake (set by the FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives) of 42 mg Pb/day for a 26 lb child. There is no margin of safety between the acceptable level of lead intake and typically expected levels in an old house. - John W. Roberts, Reducing Exposure to Lead in Older Homes.

Whenever a cost / health or safety issue comes up, I think it's useful to reverse the question - if you're not willing to spend $500 to tape and cordon off the kitchen during a remodel, how is that different than being paid $500 to sprinkle lead dust on your kids' carpet?
I think it is important that the consumer is protected from the perils of Lead Paint - but.........

The new laws are overkill in my opinion.....

They are impacting the ability of homeowners and vendors to do business efficiently and have made it much more expensive for those contractors that re-model.

Time will tell - but I think it is too much....

Gerry Dunn
Associate Broker
703-216-9100

Serving Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C. for 28 years