Home Buying in Portland>Question Details

Susie, Home Buyer in 80528

Are you an exclusive buyer's agent?

Asked by Susie, 80528 Thu Sep 10, 2009

If you are an exclusive buyer's agent for Multnomah, Washington & Clackamas Counties and are interested in working with someone out of state, please post a reply.

Hi Susie,

No. I'm not. I'm an exclusive listing agent. I've blogged about the importance of interviewing Realtors. It's very important. Think of it like a mechanic. We are always told to get three estimates... Interview three Realtors from 3 companies. You can do this over the phone. You'll have a good idea after talking with all three who will be the best match.

Add these questions into your conversation (very important)

1. How many houses have you sold?
2. How many of those were in the last 6 months?
3. Are you a full time or part time Realtor?

I would be willing to help you find an agent. There are many good agents and they aren't all at one company. Mix it up.

Huy Nguyen is the best buyer's agent I know. He's young, driven, and an amazing negotiator.

Aaron Majors
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 11, 2009
This is an excellent question and one that is frequently recommended as a part of the selection process when choosing a Real Estate Agent. This question of agency or representation is handled many different ways in the real estate community. Oregon clearly establishes who is providing representation in the course of a real estate transaction - the buyer, the seller, both parties or one party with the other unrepresented via written disclosures. This representation can be somewhat muddied with a listing agent having their partner or a team member writing the buying side of the transaction or representing the seller and having the buyer as an unrepresented party in the transaction.

I represent both buyers and sellers, however, I exclusively represent only one side of the transaction at a time and have additional training as an Accredited Buyers Representative (ABR). As well, I work with an Exclusive Buyers Agreement, so it is clearly spelled out in advance that I am solely working for the buyer in this situation. However, I think it benefits my clients to have an agent that is balanced and understands both sides of the deal, so when not working with a buyer I list and sell homes representing the seller.

As an out of state client, you will also need a broker experienced in relocation who can bring you up to speed on the many great neighborhoods to call home by identifying what is important to you. Moving is not always easy, but with the right Real Estate Broker you will be able to focus on the important issues for this exciting time in your life. Good luck!

Linda Heinrichs, Broker
Member Employee Relocation Council
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 10, 2009
Yes, I have not listed a property in over eight years. I have been in the business 18 years.
Web Reference: http://www.jolynne.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 10, 2009
Dear Susie,

What exactly are you looking for in an agent? I would hate you to only be investigating buyers agents and miss your perfect fit. I have heard that in other states most agents are either exclusive buyers or sellers agents. That's how it is in my hometown of Columbus, OH. In Oregon however, most agents do both. What's important to you in an agent?
Hi Susie,

Yes, I am a true EBA. My company, EBA Portland, LLC has been assisting buyers in the Metro Portland area since 1999. I work with a lot of relocation clients, and I'd be happy to talk to you about your plans.

Keep in touch,

Carla Muss-Jacobs, ABR, CEBA, e-Pro,Realtor
EBA Portland, LLC
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 12, 2009
Susie I have an ABR license which means I have taken courses in representation and negotiation as a buyer’s broker. I have been USAA certificated for relocation. I would after we get to know each other ask you to sign a short buyer contract outlining what I will do for you and what I expect you to do for me as we work together to find the perfect home. I am an EA S.T.A.R green eco broker, I have a CRS license. If you were coming from Colorado I have talked to many agents there over the past 10 years and they have companies that only represent buyers or sellers. I am not aware of any in Portland that do that. I think by me having the 25 years experience you see both sides of the negotiations process. I would love to help you just email me with your questions?

Tom Inglesby, Broker
RE/MAX Equity Group
Hello Susie,
I would love to work together in finding you what you are looking for in those locations and yes, I am exclusively working with buyers now. I have also been in the relocation field and specializing in helping people from out of state relocate to Portland. I designed a site http://www.RelocationToPortland.com that will have everything you would need to help with your relocation including an info guide on all of the neighborhoods, Portland schools, important relocation tips, all Portland homes for sale, and local places of interest. Please feel free to contact me anytime. I look forward to chatting.
Kevin Levy
M Realty
I'm curious why you ask for an "exclusive buyer's agent"? I have worked in the industry since 1985 and I work with both buyers and sellers. In January 1996, the state of Oregon Real Estate Agency instituted "agency". Prior to then, whether you worked with the buyer or seller, your "fiduciary responsibility" was to the seller (because they paid both agents). Of course, that made NO sense as usually if you were working with buyers you had never even MET the seller. Agency disclosure and agency acknowledgment are now part of EVERY sale agreement in the state of Oregon. This has allowed me to never be confused. When I'm representing the seller, I am the listing agent and know to whom my responsibility lies. When I'm representing the buyer, I am a buyer's agent and working to secure the best deal for my buyer. The state of Oregon has made it easy on agents by delegating responsibility.
PS: I have a wonderful search site at http://www.fabulousportland.com that allows you to enter neighborhoods of choice and price range and enjoy daily e-mails with properties that match your search criteria!
Janeese Jackson, Principal Broker
Real Estate Resource
You may want to be sure you pick an agent that knows the area -
Hi Susie,

You may view my profile on Trulia by clicking on my personal picture. I am either a seller's or buyer's broker, never both simultaneously. I prefer to advocate for 1 client such that no perceived bias may compromise any best interest. I have 15+ years of real estate appraisal experience (State Certified Residential) as well have brokered for 10 years. I am founder of http://www.HouseNow.com which is connected to 3 MLS's (RMLS, SOMLS, WVMLS) receiving daily listing feeds of any new listing, price changes, and more. Our auto-email tool is especially useful in that you receive the info without requiring search. I can populate your buyer folder at http://www.HouseNow.com with properties that I opinion may interest you, keeps things tidy and up to date. Because you are out of state, you may find these tools especially useful. I am here to help and know your identified counties very well. If you want to email me directly as to what you are looking for, I can set you up with the auto search right away such that you receive new listings. Please visit http://www.HouseNow.com where we accommodate your search for single family, multiple family, bare land, condominiums, large acreage and more. We provide addresses and Google mapping tools too...all for free. I am confident you would be happy with my service starting with my website which is hands down the better technology available. I have been developing and enhancing http://www.HouseNow.com for a decade...just helped a client buy a property after the house was identified in an auto-email update. Regards, Chris Courtney (State Certified Residential Appraiser, Broker) CELL: 541-912-1405 EMAIL: Chris@HouseNow.com
Web Reference: http://www.HouseNow.com