Home Buying in West Hills>Question Details

Ry, Home Buyer in West Hills, CA

Are we now legally responsible for the costs? If not can we ask for compensation for all costs and lost rent? Is this a breach of contract? Thank you.

Asked by Ry, West Hills, CA Tue Nov 10, 2009

We had an agreement with the sellers that all old electrical be removed, they agreed. The electrician did the work, but didn't remove it all, and we signed off thinking it was done. Now we realize it's not and have to replace the old electrical, and we where supposed to rent out this portion of the house.

Answers

3
Keith Sorem’s answer
Ry
What proof did the owners provide that the work was completed?
Did the request for repairs state clearly what you expected? Could it have been interpreted in more than one way?

There is a difference between "old electrical" and electrical that poses a hazard or is not up to code.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 11, 2009
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Ry,

Was your agreement in writing?

How much will it cost to finish the job? if it is under $7500 then you have a small claims dispute. If it is over, you'll need to get an attorney.

If you plan on going the small claims route then you need to get all your documentation organized, have a time line and communications log.

I have been through the small claims process and won, give me a call and I can meet you for coffee. I go to the Starbucks over on Platt at least once a week.
Web Reference: http://www.homebuysblog.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 10, 2009
Ry, you can start by speaking to your agent. After that I would talk to a real estate attorney. As usual, Ken brought up some great points.

Best to you!
Dot
Web Reference: http://www.DotChance.com