Home Buying in Grand Rapids>Question Details

616homebuyer, Home Buyer in Grand Rapids, MI

Are we getting enough attention from our buyers agent?

Asked by 616homebuyer, Grand Rapids, MI Sat Sep 24, 2011

Houses are selling before we can get in to them (it usually takes two to three days for our agent to get us in, if not longer) and we have come up higher and higher in price for our agent to find us something, but after months we haven't once been shown something before it hit the market and have told our agent that we don't feel comfortable with phone negotiations, we want counters on paper. After several back and forth phone negotiations on a property we finally accept a crazy high amount only to later be informed we can't have it at that high (over asking) price because the sellers partner disagreed. Now we have asked to write another offer and the contract emailed to us does not include several of our contingencies- luckily we caught it, but it was to expire this evening and our agent is not answering phone calls or emails, so now we drag out another day. We have sat back too long waiting our turn to view houses, now our apartment was rented out and we have no home purchase yet

Answers

12
616homebuyer,

I agree with Mack below. But if you follow his advice and don't get
better service, send your Realtor a note to inform him/her you are
not satisfied with the service provided and will get a new Realtor.

Also, let that agent's Broker know of your dissatisfaction and intent
to go elsewhere. If you have signed a contract with your Realtor,
get a Mutual Release signed by you and the Broker before you
look for another property.

It kind of sounds to me that you are finished with this particular agent.
Because once trust is broken between the agent and the buyer, it's
awfully hard to get it back. And, you need to trust one another.
Remember, that many agents who have not weathered this market
well have been forced to get second jobs. A full time agent, who is
experienced and making his/her entire living from their industry, is
by definition more pro-active and timely in their communication.

Kind Regards,
Marita Topmiller
Indianapolis Area
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 24, 2011
I don't know if you're getting enough attention, but you are certainly not doing a good job of communicating with your agent.

Take it from a professional - good communication is more than just sending a message, it requires confirmation that the other person received it, understood it, processed it, and was able to act on it.

Everybody is different on their tolerance and forgiveness levels, but I think that you owed yourself and your agent a "heart-to-heart" several months ago.

Oh, by the way, it's a rare agent that has "pocket listings" that they can show you before they "hit the market."

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 24, 2011
This appears to be a common problem as I try to understand why folks prefer not to talk with their agents when issues arise. Go ahead and have the uncomfortable conversation with your agent and then terminate the contract and move foward with another agent. You already know what you want in an agent so require this from a new agent in the future. Don't settle when there are too many great agents out there. Thanks and good luck!
616,

You are missing out on a lot of homes due to your agents other priorities. Make sure you find a full time agent. You also want to find an agent who is actively prospecting for new listings which include for sale by owners and expired listings. That way you will have a bigger data base of homes to choose from.

Putting you on a "search" through our MLS and rely on you to call the agent just isn't enough in this market.

Feel free to call me with any questions.

Jason Lash
Prudential Preferred Realtors
Office: (616) 447-7045
Cell: (616) 821-1350
Jason.Lash@GRHomes.net
Web Reference: http://www.GRHomes.net
If you do not have a signed contract with your current realtor, please switch to me. YOu will get the service you deserve!!

Please call me at 616 308 2631, or email me at kroelofs@grar.com.

Thanks!!

Karl Roelofs
First, let say I’m sorry to hear about they why this transaction is not living up to your expectations which seem reasonable. Second can you answer a couple of questions for us? Is the agent full time? How did you choose this agent when you started working with them? Was it a referral? Family friend / relative? Discount brokerage? Agents have a fiduciary responsibility to work on behalf of their clients, if you feel this is not happing then ask the agent to release you or ask the agents broker to assign you a new agent. Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 25, 2011
It sounds like your agent might not be the right fit for you. In this market, everybody is looking for the same thing: a good deal on a great house. If you don't get to the good ones fast, they sell before you even see them. If you would like some additional advice on your current situation you can feel free to contact me. I enjoy helping however I can.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 24, 2011
I work out of Grand Rapids area. I do this full time. If you do not have an agreement with him, end it and find somebody you like. Unlike other agents today, I give all my available information to my clients because of this fact. Their are great agents here in Grand Rapids. If you want somebody who is available full time and respond quickly, I would love the opportunity to assist you!

Captain Kirk

here is what my clients said
We meet Kirk through an acquaintance. He not only helped us find exactly the kind of house we were looking for, he got us in touch with a mortgage company that was amazing. Between him and the mortgage company we were able to close in just over two weeks! We were very happy with Kirk's communication skills, and he always got back with us A.S.A.P. He was very flexible with our schedules, and always made time to show us the houses we wanted to see. We will be recommending Kirk to all our friends in the future.
You need to be better represented. All the previous answers are correct and you should make a change. You can start the interview process by contacing me. As a Grand Rapids area agent with 20 years of experience and a designated ABR (Accredited Buyers Representative) I can help you NOW, and I'm very accessable at 616-340-1780.
If you are unhappy with your agent, and if you don't have a signed agreement in place, you are free to work with whoever you wish....choose your agent with care....
If you are not happy with your agent I would find another. If you are in contract with your agent you do need to formally end it. I would suggest interviewing a few agents and pick one you feel comfortable with and feel you can have a great working relationship with!
Best wishes and hope you find your home soon!
Hi 616,
I believe the answer is fairly obvious. It should be no problem to find a good buyer's agent that will work hard for you.