Home Buying in Malibu>Question Details

womanenough, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Are there zoning restrictions on building modular homes in Malibu area?

Asked by womanenough, Los Angeles, CA Fri Dec 14, 2012

What type of foundation is required for modular home in Malibu?

Answers

10
Endre Barath,Jr.’s answer
The biggest restrictions in Malibu are hillside ordinance as well as coastal commission if the land is inside the zone. This is where the bulk of the time and cost come into play hence your financial saving if wanting to build inexpensively is mitigated. To be sure check with the Malibu Dept of Building.

Should you need more information. Please contact me directly : homes@endrebarath.com

Endre Barath,Jr.
Prudential California Realty
Beverly Hills, CA

310.486.1002
Web Reference: http://www.endrebarath.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
THERE ARE NO ACTUAL CITY 'ZONING RESTRICTIONS' AGAINST A MODULAR TYPE HOME, BUT, YOU MUST BE CAREFUL TO ENSURE THAT THE HOME YOU DECIDE UPON MEETS ALL THE BUILDING STANDARDS OF LOS ANGELES COUNTY. STRUCTURALLY, HEAT LOSS REQUIREMENTS, ETC.. YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE THE FOUNDATION ENGINEERED AND PLEASE REMEMBER THAT VIRTUALLY ALL LAND IN MALIBU IS COMPRISED OF HIGHLY EXPANSIVE SOIL TYPES - THEREFORE, A 'STANDARD' FOOTING IS ALMOST NEVER PERMITTED - EVEN ON DEAD FLAT LAND.

NORMALLY PEOPLE DO NOT REALIZE THE COSTS INVOLVED IN PERMITTING AND FOUNDATIONS.

ROS NELSON
real estate malibu PARTNERS
Can't seem to find an email address on your profile page. If you don't get this message I'll call you tomorrow.
Richard, I'm asuming it was you that called me today re: MOD'S. I'm in flight now returning to San Diego. If you happen to check into Trulia in the next couple of hours please feel free to email me at onthelevel@cox.net. I'll also be emailing this to you. Regards, John
Depends on the property you are looking to build on, though the majority of the land is zoned A-11 and allows for modular builds there may be the exception. I have developed several homes in Malibu and Topanga, toured modular manufacturing facilities in Arizona and currently have construction plans in plan check. Feel free to call me 310 920-4433

20 + years experience in
local land sales and development.
It depends on the property you choose. I have built several homes in the vicinity and have been processing plans for placing a modular on private property in Malibu. There is a method to the madness. Feel free to call me with any questions: Richard C 310 920-4433
Thomas Bates is spot on. I've been a Silvercrest dealer & developer for almost 20 years and a general and manufactured home contractor for almost 30. I'm also a RE broker and have done many projects with Silvercrest products. They are probably the best on the market today.

I don't work out of San Diego County on development projects any longer but I do know some very reputable and qualified dealers, developers and contractors in the LA area that I'd be happy to refer you to. Please feel free to contact me at onthelevel@cox.net or call me on my cell anytime: 760 815-6977
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
It depends on your soils conditions - so you have to do full geology, soils and percolation tests to determine what type of foundation and how deep - it varies with each individual lot and also exactly where on the land you wish to place the home. These tests can cost upwards of $35K ..

Then the actual foundation will be determined by the engineers at the modular home sales place (sometimes) as part of their package - but you have to supply current reports to them. If they won't do it for you as part of the home sales package then you will need to have a private engineer design the foundation. In any event, it will then have to approved by the City. So until all these steps are taken you will not know what the good estimated costs will be.

I might suggest that you get a geologist soils engineer who is very frequent with Malibu, the City and the county - many times they can research reports for recently constructed homes in the area and give you a pretty good rough estimate as to whether or not you should go ahead with the above full testing to develop the reports.

Then your contract with them should allow for canceling out, if, when doing actual drilling and or back hoe work bad stuff becomes evident - cut your costs at that time!

Ros Nelson
real estate malibu PARTNERS
310 457 5877
Thanks for your helpful comments.
Flag Fri Dec 14, 2012
None! Try Silver Creast Homes of Corona. They have many models already pre-approved for the L.A County area of Malibu. The rest of malibu it is just like a regular home.
Modular construction is guided by and subject to the same requirements as any other structure. You can obtain an itmeized list of what is required from either Building & Planning City of Malibu, or Building and Planning County - depending upon where in Malibu you are contemplating building.

BRUCE KENT,CDPE
RE/MAX ESTATE PROPERTIES
Malibu
License #: 01299413 -
310-457-9082 (direct)
310-486-2163 (mobile)