Home Buying in Detroit>Question Details

meghannhoney…, Home Buyer in Detroit, MI

Are there programs to help someone get into a home in Detroit if they are looking to start a community garden project/non profit from the residence?

Asked by meghannhoneymoonfarm, Detroit, MI Fri Mar 29, 2013

Looking to establish what I will call an Underground RailRoad for Detroit. This home I seek would allow me to help in the vital rebuilding of this great city. A safe space for members of the community to gather, learn and grow together.
A space that I will claim, live in, remodel, and grow an abundant amount of produce and herbs. I hope to provide an opportunity within my home/space to teach low income families how to garden organically in their urban setting. I would like to also provide the opportunity to teach/work with young adults in Detroit in teaching them about our planet and the very basic things we can incorporate in our daily lives to help take care of her.

The city does have programs in place now. If you would like more information please contact the city at http://www.detroitmi.gov/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 29, 2013
Great question, love your plan! I too have my eyes set on Detroit and would love to discuss more about your plans. Would great appreciate you contacting me directly.
It sounds like a commune to me. There are actually properties like this detroit now.
not at all looking for my home to be a commune, but the garden should be community! I am happy there are so many community houses and gardens in Detroit, and hope to be a part of the unique opportunity to homestead there myself.
I have thought about contacting some of the groups that have already claimed their space there and are gardening, but am really hoping to establish my own space.
Flag Mon Apr 1, 2013