Home Buying in 94118>Question Details

Hc88, Home Buyer in 94118

Are there city planning issues buying a R-2 home that was converted to a single family home in San Francisco?

Asked by Hc88, 94118 Wed Dec 16, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:


Only if the conversion was done without permits.

Gregory Garver - Commercial Real Estate Broker
Broker License# 01716531
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 18, 2009
Yeah, your question is a bit unclear. One potential issue not to overlook is that if, as is sometimes the case in SF, a two unit building has essentially been reconfigured as a single family home, but it's still listed as a two unit building (e.g., with the second unit having a hidden entrance or just being an in-law), you may find that you're interest rate on a loan will be higher because the lender will consider it a two-unit building, which is considered riskier.
Web Reference: http://realdatasf.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 17, 2009
Without knowing if the work done was done with permit or if you are considering the job we can't speak to your question other than generalities.

The planning code generally doesn't like to have rental unnits removed from the inventory so it will be hard to get permits for that. If the 2nd unit was put in without permit is will be easier to change back.

Your best bet is to go to the DBI and ask some questions. You could also start with a look at the tax records to see if it is a legal two unit building.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 16, 2009
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
It seems like you're asking whether you'll have any problems with the Planning Department or Department of Building Inpsection if you buy a home that A) has had some modifications made and B) converted to a use outside its current zoning. RH-2 is a zoning code that allows a two-unit building. My understanding is that single family dwellings can become approved within two-family zoning (RH-2). You should consult with the Planning Department and the Department of Building Inspection for answers to these questions.

Planning Dept: http://www.sfgov.org/site/planning_index.asp
Dept of Building Inspection: http://www.sfdbi.org/

Whether this was done legally and properly, or whether you could bring the home into compliance, are different questions. You could go down to the Department of Building Inspection and pull the permit history to find out. You could also order a 3R report from them. This costs $160.

If you're considering buying a home like this, you should also consider working with a Realtor who can guide you through the associated issues.
Good luck to you!

Jason Chapin
McGuire Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 16, 2009

Not sure what your asking. Was the home a Two Unit Building that was converted to Single Family Home or is it a Single Family Home on an RH-2 zoned property?

There can be with the former if it was not done with permit, but the latter is a typical scenario.

Mike Ackerman, CRS, e-Pro
Zephyr Real Estate

Web Reference: http://www.ZephyrSF.com
Web Reference: http://www.ZephyrSF.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 16, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer