Home Buying in Maryland>Question Details

Toni, Other/Just Looking in 21075

Are there any risk in buying a home near a stormwater management reservation? We are thinking about putting a offer in on a home in a new community

Asked by Toni, 21075 Sat Jan 30, 2010

and most of the home sites left have a stormwater management reservation behind them. I can not seem to find any information about the risk online. I have checked the fema flood site and it says that this is not a flood area. Any advice would be appreciated..

Answers

2
Those stormwater ponds can be deadly with mosquitos in the summertime - some never have any water in them, only during and shortly after a heavy rain - if it has standing water all the time, I would not buy near it!

Bill Wootan
Web Reference: http://www.billwootan.com
The best thing to do is start working with an agent that can help you with these answers. Personally, I would contact Planning and Zoning of your county and find Storm Water Management Design. They may have blue prints of the pond and can answer questions you may have. They would be more experienced in these matters. I would ask is their an additional run-off from the pond in case of a severe storm. These ponds are not designed to hold water for a long period of time...their should be adequate run-off.

On a side note, friends of mine own a home in a cul-de-sac in Abingdon. The home backs to a Storm Water Management Pond which then backs to woods. They love it. You will see different types of birds, frogs, etc. If you like this sort of thing great.

Another quick thought. After a rain, go by and visit the pond. See for yourself how it is filling if it is filling at all.
Any questions, please fee free to contact me. Thanks.