Home Buying in Santa Rosa>Question Details

Callie, Home Buyer in Santa Rosa, CA

Are there any rent to own homes in Santa Rosa?

Asked by Callie, Santa Rosa, CA Tue Oct 19, 2010

Answers

6
HI Callie - rent to own is a great way to make sure you love the house and neighborhood. You might want to have a home inspection before you put down a non-refundable amount. Be sure to set the terms of your contract before you move in and set the guidelines for repairs, taxes, insurance, etc. Be sure to use a "third party" such as an escrow company or attorney to hold your deposit and send your payments to... they should be making the monthly payments with your rent - directly to the mortgage company. You know your rent is going toward the mortgage payment and they will provide you with statements.
Do your homework on this. Make sure your rent payments are making it to the lender. When you enter into a contract to purchase with an owner you don't want the home involved in a foreclosure.
There are plenty. Here's a link to a blog I wrote on how to find them: http://bit.l/findaleaseoption

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Hi Callie, check out my listings at http://www.TerrysHomes4sale.com I have several that are owner financing, and possible lease option. contact me for details. Best, Terry Bell, CPS Real Estate, Santa Rosa, CA
707-292-5712 cell phone
Hi Terry, do you have any in Healdsburg/Windsor?
Flag Fri Aug 15, 2014
Callie - there are always some sellers who are willing to be creative in selling their home. The question you asked can probably be stated more traditionally as a "lease option".

The potential to apply rent towards a purchase is common in a "lease option". A lease option usually involves:

1. Payment for the right to purchase the property (option) during a specified time period.
2. Some credit for rent paid during the time until you exercise your option.

Sellers most likely to consider a lease option don't need cash immediately (often the case for a rental property as opposed to a primary residence for the seller). They may have also been trying to sell the home for a long period of time without success.

In today's market, owner financing and rent to own are making a come back. Depending on the price range, I'm starting to see some sellers willing to think outside the box to sell their homes.

To find some possibilities, you can search on my site.

Ernest Berghof
Coldwell Banker