Home Buying in Compton>Question Details

1st Timehome…, Home Buyer in Compton, CA

Are there any real homes that are really going to be sold, or is everything a ploy to get people to use certain lenders?

Asked by 1st Timehomebuyer, Compton, CA Mon May 28, 2012

It seems like all these so called homes for sale are all SCAMS! My husband and I were already pre approved for 350k. We found a home we liked, wanted to put are offer in. The selling agent told us we had to cross qualify with his lender, so we did. After completing that whole process, we found out that the house had been sold long before we came along. SCAM!!!

Answers

5
Hello 1stTimehomebuyer,

The best thing for you and your husband to do is get yourselves a buyer's agent. You need an agent working for YOU and YOUR Best Interest. Remember the listing agent's job is to sale the home in the shortest amount of time and for the highest possible price. They owe that to the seller. The buyer's agent's job is to find the buyer a home that fits the buyer's needs and get it at a price that is RIGHT for the buyer.

Now for the cross approving,many times a seller/listing agent will require the buyer to be cross approved by their preferred lender. I would not call this a scam, it is an attempt to make sure the buyer is REALLY qualified. It is can also be an attempt in my humble opinion to get business for their preferred lender. After all if their lender cross approves you and offers you a better rate and terms than the lender you chose to be pre approved with, you may decide to work with their lender.

I have a client who has pre approval from Wells Farge, and Bank Of America, and I was told she would have to get cross approved by a loan broker the seller/ seller's sgent preferred.
You would think Wells Fargo and Bank of America would know if she is qualified or not.

Now, as for homes being listed for sale that have actually sold. That does happen.Many consumer based websites simply to do always have up to date info. If you really want to buy a home and have access to properties that are available for sale yo MUSt have a buyer's agent searching the MLS for you. Keep in mind homes are moving very fast these days. It is not uncommon for a home to list on a Weds, have multiple offers by Friday, and be in escrow by the following Monday.

At 350K you should be able to find a place to call home, you just need yourselves a good buyer's agent.

Best of Luck to You!!!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
You have received good responses. You want to work exclusively with one Buyer's Agent. Find someone who is experienced and has time for you. You should interview a few agents until you find one that you trust.

It sounds like you found a home and then dealt directly with the Listing Agent. If so, then he was trying to represent both sides of the deal. A Buyer's Agent working for you would have your interests and his interests as the same.

Contact me if you have questions or want to discuss your situation.

Michael Magaw'
310.259.6850
m@nhlbrokers.com
1st Timehomebuyer,

I'm sorry you were put through this situation. Without getting details from the real estate agent you're referencing; we won't have enough information to expand on if:

1. They were cross approving you to be a back up offer
2. If this is a short sale
3. If you were wronged or if this something that is deemed common and normal

Please get a good buyer's agent immediately to help protect your interests. It seems if you went directly to the selling agent you aren't getting the service and understanding a first time homebuyer needs when making this big purchase.

Best of luck! Please give more detail if you can.

Felix
Please let me start by asking you to work with a buyers agent that will look out for your best interest and represent you. There are plenty of legitimate homes on the market available. I would be more then happy to help you and your husband find a home. Please feel free to call or email me and we can discuss the homes available that meet your needs.

DJ Bonner
djbonner@kw.com
It sounds like you had a bad experience. The tendency is to generalize from one bad experience. There are plenty of legitimate people and propery on Trulia, and elsewhere - you just have to weed through things.

Trulia listings tend to stay on the site after they are in escrow - Realtor.com would give you more up to date information.

I would always ask whether a home is sold before cross qualifiying, etc. I get a number of emails every day asking if a property is still available -- that might be a good first question for you!

Here's hoping you find the good stuff.