New Homebuyer, Home Buyer in Nassau County, NY

Are there any other tax discount programs besides the STAR program in Nassau County?

Asked by New Homebuyer, Nassau County, NY Tue May 29, 2012

Answers

6
You can check with the tax assessor's office with any questions you may have, see link below.
http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/Assessor/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 29, 2012
If you are a Vet or a senior citizen you can apply. Be sure to apply to both Nassau, Town of Hempstead and the Village of Freeport. Each must be filed separately. You can contact the appropriate municipalities to find out when to file.

You may also file for a tax adjustment since values have gone down substantially, therefore, assessments should be lower.
I just wanted to add regardless of whatever exemptions you may be eligible for, you still have to qualify for the home without the exemptions, and apply after ownership.
Good morning,

There are several ways to receive property tax exemptions/discounts:

1. Primary residence exemption/discount: available to all homeowners for primary residences in New York State

2. Veteran's exemption/discount: available to Veterans of the United States Armed Forces

3. Senior Citizen excemption/discount: available to qualified Senior Citizens

4. Religious Clergy: available to qualified members of the clergy.

Trevor Curran

P.S.: When I prequalify my clients for mortgage financing, I explain ALL of this and more about the HomeBuying experience. If you want to be prequalified for a Nassau County home purchase by a 22 year veteran mortgage professional and Local Mortgage Banker, give me a call. Prequalification is free and extremely thorough and you'll walk out of our meeting extremely well educated about the best way to buy a home in Nassau County.
You can also file for a tax grievance to reduce your taxes, and the dateline is March 1 of each year in Nassau County.