Home Buying in Tucson>Question Details

elzbietabens…, Home Buyer in Berkeley, CA

Are there any older neighborhoods in the Tucson foothills? I am looking for a home that would not be a part of a compound/development.

Asked by elzbietabenson, Berkeley, CA Fri Feb 10, 2012

Answers

14
There are dozens of choices: Canyon Vita Estates, Skyline Bel Aire Estates, Alta Vista Estates, Whaleback Ridge Estates, Ventana Reserve, Silverton, Sin Vacas, Sunset Canyon, Montanas, Suffolk Hills, Tanuri Hills, Vista del Cielo, Las Alturas, and many, many others. All are older neighborhoods and generally have HOAs; some are gated communities, but none are newer developments with cookie-cutter homes.
Yes, there are homes on large lots, most are on an acre or more north of River Rd.between first Ave and Sabino Canyon Rd. If I can be of further assistance please e-mail or phone me. Marcia Hutchison, Associate Broker, Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage. marciahutch@hotmail.com or 520-907-0085. Thank you for the inquiry.
Yes definitely. Perhaps you are looking for a property with some land, space to grow and no association to tell what you can and can't do or perhaps you just don't like that cookie cutter feeling of a development.

One of the easiest ways to find the right home is having a web portal set up through the local Realtor's Association's Multiple Listings Service. A knowledgeable agent or broker can set up a personalized portal for you, enter your specific criteria of what is important to you for your home purchase including size, number of bedrooms & Baths , school district, acreage, location, zip code and any other details which are important to you. The portal gives you the ability to log in and keep track of any homes which might interest you. It's a great way to keep your search organized and get all the latest real-time up to date information straight from the M.L.S. where all other websites get their info from. It's also a great way to stay connected with your agent because the agent can track which homes you like and get additional information for you as needed.

If you would like further assistance, I'd be happy to assist you and set up a personalized web portal for you.

Greg A Curtis
(520) 241-0712
There are many differnt types of homes in the foothills, especially some of the older neighborhoods. If you will contact me, I will set up a search for just those homes that meet your criteria. That will save you a lot of time and money running around. Ric Mills 520-548-8940 rmills@gotucson.com. I hope to hear from you soon.
There are homes in the Catalina Foothills that would not be part of a compound or development. You can visit our website at http://www.tierraantigua.com. There are different search options but if you click "Area" and highlight North and Northeast, that would be the general area of the Foothills. We have agents that specialize in all areas of Tucson and we would be happy to help you in your search or answer any questions you may have about real estate here in Tucson. Please feel free to contact us at 520-544-2335 or at relocation@tierraantigua.net
Yes there are. I suggest you get pre-approved with a lender first, if you already have not. Then, find a "good" local Realtor to help you fine tune the search. Sites like Trulia and Zillow.com are free & have basic information. However, the listings are not accurate or up to date. There will be plenty of agents that respond to your question on here, or you can look them up on Zillow.com (clients write reviews of agents so you can get a better idea of what it is like to work with them) or ask friends, family, coworkers for a referral.

Unlike California, if the property is listed on MLS, majority of the time there is no cost to use a buyers agent here in Tucson (I certainly do not charge buyers). Even if it is not me, it is still in your best interest to work with an experienced local Realtor.
Best of luck.

Spirit
You can find some lovely old homes built in the 1950s and earlier between First Avenue and Campbell, south of Orange Grove. Some of these homes are on huge lots with spectacular views, yet not to far from downtown. Some were either designed by the famous architect Josias Joesler, or they are imitate his distinctive style with open-beamed celings, mission tile roof, massive rock fireplaces and patterned concrete floor tiles.

If by compound/development, you mean homeowners' association, the Old Foothills are generally free of that. Where there are HOAs, the dues are low and the HOAs usually don't have much power to harass the homeowners.

I strongly urge you to consider the Tucson Mountains. The are hilly, the lots are huge, there is more wildlife than in the Catalina Foothills, and the views usually aren't obstructed by telephone wires as they are in the Old Foothills. The prices are much lower, too.
Is the perfect spot for the type of homes that you are looking, in my opinion is where you can hold the value
of the home, because of the situation of the area at North you have the Catalina's Mountains, West you have the Highway to go to Phoenix, east you have Sabino Mountain, at South you have the city, excellent schools commute to go any place, upscale shopping and Restaurants. I have 21 years of experience in Real Estate,I lived in the Foothills since 1985 is a beautiful place to lived, if you want to know more about the Foothills or Tucson in general please call me,
Sincerely
Patricia Porter 465-0179

Being happy is not a matter of fate. It is a matter of choice!
Good question. I understand what you are looking for and you have chosen a great area of Tucson to start your search. A good place to start if you are out of town is my website you can set up a search of specific areas and recieve updates about the nieghborhoods,surounding activities and shopping. Along with the homes being offered for sale. When you are ready I would be happy to take you on a personel tour of the homes that interest you.
I look forward to showing you your next home.
Vera Wallace
Some of the most interesting properties in Tucson are in the Catalina Foothills (zip code 85718). Many of the homes in this area are in older neighborhoods, are custom built, are on acre plus lots and have a rural feel although they are very convenient to shopping, restaurants and other amenities. Some of the deed restrictions in the foothills have expired so there are no active homeowner's associations in several neighborhoods. I am an accredited buyer's agent specializing in the Catalina Foothills and would be happy to speak with you about your options.
Web Reference: http://www.ilenesipe.com
I recommend that you call my colleague Dale Arnold of Prudential Foothills Real Estate at (520) 481-7920 or 577-8333. He specializes in "Finer Homes" and would probably be familiar with the Foothills area.
You aleady have some good answers, and Jill's approach is a very good one, which I would also recommend. There are many older neighborhoods in the Catalina Foothills. While many have HOA's, the monthly does is often very small. I would be happy to give you some more specific suggestions if I knew better what you are looking for.
As Tom mentioned, the foothills is exactly where you want to look if you'd like to stay away from a suburban feeling development. There is a great mix of original homes built in the 70's and 80's as well as newer custom built homes. You can find everything from classic Tucson ranch style to contemporary design. Many have large lots with lots of washes and natural vegetation running through. It's a great area because you get the feeling of being "out of town" in many areas, but great restaurants and shopping are very nearby. You can search for homes in this specific geographical area on our public MLS or on an agent's website that has a map search function to get an idea of what is out there. Of course, I know any one of us would be happy to set you up with listings over email. Good luck in your hunt!
Web Reference: http://www.sarahlieneke.com
I agree with Tom. There are many many neighborhoods and homes to choose from. The best plan of action is to find a good real estate agent who can spend the time with you viewing the neighborhoods first. Once you've settled on your neighborhood of choice and the agent has come to understand your "tastes" in homes, the agent can begin previewing the homes for you since you're out of town and narrow the choices for you. I hope this helps!