Home Buying in Roanoke>Question Details

Natalie, Home Buyer in Hilton Head Island, SC

Are there any new home communities being built? I'm looking for a 4 bed, 2 bath on over 3 acres.

Asked by Natalie, Hilton Head Island, SC Sat Sep 22, 2012

I want to be in a decent area. Not very interested in traditional "neighborhood". I can't seem to find any homes with modern floor plans. (Open, large rooms, no wastes of space like formal livings and dinings, large windows, NOT colonial or country) Everything seems a decade or two behind the times. I'm beginning to think building is my only option.

Answers

7
Hello Natalie,

First, I noticed that you are looking for a significant amount of acreage and that you aren't looking for a traditional neighborhood. It seems as if you are interested in a more rural setting, but a modern home. In my opinion, most of the builders in this area, are building 4BR homes in semi-rural subdivisions -aren't making them "modern" because the demand is for tradition in that market. I'm sure there will be a few modern gems in existence - but more than likely they won't come situated on 3+ acres.

IF you want to build, that would be one option. However, I don't know what your tolerance for remodeling is - but that is another option. I hope by now you've had good fortune in your home search!

- Princess
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2012
Yes building would be a good option, also look in the Botetourt and Bedford areas. If you don't mind being in the suburbs I think we can find what you want without going through the long building process. Most new construction does have open concept like you describe. Bedford may be too country for you but if you want over 3 acres that is what you are going to get "country."
I guess the short answer was "no, there are no new neighborhoods fitting your criteria." I'm not interested in someone else's old property (I have an aversion to inheriting their problems). We've been down that road before. We've decided to build and are working with a broker to purchase acreage in a neighborhood with covenants. We've already selected our plans with a local builder and security firm.
Thank you for your answers in regard to my query.
You've done what you feel is right for you & your family. Best of luck to you with your building experience and I hope you will LOVE living in the Roanoke Valley. It's a wonderful area!
Flag Mon Sep 24, 2012
Hi, Natalie...The Roanoke Valley area has numerous places with acreage so it's just a matter of narrowing down what you like and the area you'd like to choose from. I have a beautiful Western Cedar log home with all open living space on 13 acres right now. It's isolated, yet in a very convenient location near shopping, restaurants and more. There are also, of course, many other places. If you'd like more information, feel free to contact me at Realsstates@yahoo.com.
Happy Hunting!
Sheila States
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 22, 2012
Try this link to see what is available, let me know what you think. Cut and paste it into your browser.

http://www.flexmls.com/link.html?x2ncghi4olm,11,1

Contact me at sherertz@coldwellbanker.com
Natalie - save yourself some time. Pick a broker and let him do the work for you. You'll get tons of responses but nothing that really does you any good. My email is realtorbobrouse@earthlink.net or give me a call (540) 387-0466. Once I know what you're after we can get you the details. Bob
I would love to put a search together for you, so you can see all your options. You can e-mail me at bradthomas@oldecolony.com or call me at 540-915-3637.