Keri, Home Buyer in Plano, TX

Are there any neighborhoods in Prosper, TX that don't have HOA's or that don't have HOA restrictions on solar and wind power?

Asked by Keri, Plano, TX Mon Oct 25, 2010

There have been changes in solar panels and residential windmills that don't look any more unsightly than a satellite dish. I'm hoping to find a neighborhood that encourages green building, including water recycling options. Does anything like that exist in or around Prosper, TX?

Answers

7
The city of Prosper is encouraging green building, here is a link to the article: http://prospertx.gov/Portals/Prosper/Skins/Prosper/pdf/pdf3/…
Also go to the building department and ask questions there.

As to HOA's you would likely have to go an older neighborhood as most subdivisions built in the most recetn years have HOA's.

Let me know if you need further assistance, I would love to be of help to you in your home search.
Web Reference: http://www.LindaLorenzo.com
Keri, I live and specialize in Prosper, TX real estate, and I suggest that you consider the Greenspoint subdivision for building a home. Greenspoint is located at the corner First Street and Coit Road. This neighborhood was developed as an eco-friendly neighborhood. Even though they have an HOA, your eco-friendly amenities should be very welcomed in Greenspoint. I suggest you speak with Chris Miles of Greencraft Builders, LLC - a local expert in eco-friendly home building who built a home in Greenspoint that has dozens of green building concepts incorporated into the construction - including a cistern for capturing rain water. You can reach Chris at this site, http://www.bannisterhousetexas.com/gr_builders.html and I have included the Greenspoint subdivision link below.
Have a blessed day!
Ronda

Ronda Allen, Realtor, C.P.M., SFR, TAHS
RE/MAX Dallas Suburbs
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 28, 2010
Keri,
As far as neighborhoods in Prosper, TX without HOA restrictions, you may want to consider Hillside, Valley View, Rhea Mills Estates, Collin Green, Bradford Farms, and Raewood on Preston. All of Prosper geographically qualifies for the USDA loan program, although you would also have to meet the criteria to use this loan. You can learn more about that program, and others, at the link below.
Ronda
Keri, currently there are not any builders except for CUSTOM Builders (using your own specifications for GREEN Amenities) that are doing the items you are requesting around the area.

As far as NON-HOA communities there a few, most are older neighborhoods. Your best option would be to find vacant land or build on your own lot.

Below is a link to the neighborhoods and land/lots that do not have HOA's.

We hope this helps.
Locally you might check the Allen area. Great schools and few HOA's. HOA's are not deigned to make your life miserable. Their purpose is to maximize property value on an ongoing basis. Find out who is on the board of a given HOA where you think you might want to live and ask what the procedures are for the members to propose additons or changes to the restrictive covenants. The board should just exercise what the assoaition members want not what they within the board want. Never hurts to ask. In addition Dale Smeal with Remax is a good resource to review options.
I'm aware that most neighborhoods in Prosper have HOA's. That was why I asked the question. Does anyone know of any neighborhoods that do NOT have HOA's?

I'm looking for a list of neighborhoods. I'm familiar with green building, and if I'm going to spend money on a house right now, it will only be for an opportunity to get as close to net zero as I can.
Keri, most areas in Prosper have HOA's, which on most instances do not allow for solar panels. You would have to search for a neighborhood that does not have an HOA, or a piece of land that is not restricted to covenants.

The idea of green is not completely accomplished in most neighborhoods around the metoplex as of today.

Hopefully sooner than later they will develop neighborhoods with - Rain Water Collection, Low Impact Development(Storm Water Management), and Plastic Lumber products...
This will give you an idea of what a green community will look like in the near future,
http://www.builtgreen.net/features.html#2

Your best bet is to locate a piece of land or a community with no deeds and covenants...

We wish you good hunting. If you should need further assistance please feel free to give us a call.

GroupWatson - Keller Williams
http://www.ProsperHomesOnline.com
214.566.1737