Home Buying in Countryside>Question Details

Tressa Patten, Other/Just Looking in

Are there any historic preservation initiatives in any Kansas City, MO neighborhoods?

Asked by Tressa Patten, Sat Aug 18, 2012

We'd like to buy a historic home we can restore. Just wondering if there are initiatives we should be aware of. Thanks!

Answers

3
Jeff Johnson’s answer
Tressa,
Kansas City does not have any initiatives (i.e. money) available for historic preservation but there are state tax credits available for restoration projects on specific houses or houses in neighborhoods on the National Historic Register. Much of Hyde Park, Columbus Park, Scarritt Renaissance, Crestwood as well as other neighborhoods are listed so most of the homes in these neighborhoods qualify for the credits. For a full list of neighborhoods you can visit the Kansas City MO website and search for online mapping. Once there select the layers tab and you will find an option for National Historic Register which will display all the neighborhoods that qualify. The process for applying for the credits is cumbersome but there are several local companies that specialize in helping homeowners through the process and they are certainly worth the money. I can help with the introductions if you are interested. The tax credits are transferable so they can be sold if you do not owe enough in state taxes to use the full value of credits your project qualifies for. Many banks will also count the credits toward the equity required to purchase the property.

For smaller projects such as weatherization, insulation and other small improvements the area Community Development Corporations (CDCs) offer assistance to residents in the neighborhoods they service. Many of these programs are targeted to lower income residents but not all. Each CDC covers a different area so you need to do some searching to find the one for your target neighborhood(s).

If you are interested in purchasing income producing properties there are Federal tax credits available. They are similar to the State credits but they have an entirely different set of rules but once again the local historic preservation companies are very helpful in helping investors navigate the maze of regulations.

Please let me know if you have questions about the details of the programs discussed above or if you are interested in an introduction to one of the local historic preservation companies.

Good luck with your search.
I'm actually just checking into that myself right now. I just received a foreclosure property that was in Kansas City, near Liberty on 2.6 acres, built in 1824, all brick with 1981 square feet and was never added to the registry. It is still occupied. I'll be starting to make phone calls on Monday to get additional information on it's possible Historic Value to the area. I want as much information as possible before it's listed. I'm going to start with Historic Kansas City Foundation, 816-931-8448, hkcf@historickansascity.org and see where that leads me. I know they provide some funding through donations but I'm not sure of the requirements.
Squier Park just received historic status a few months ago. Architects who knew the process bought the house originally built for the Katz family, of drug store fame,and while completing the renovation process, used their professional expertise to expedite the application. I lived in the neighborhood for 18 years and would be delighted to introduce you to houses as well as your potential neighbors!
Awfully kind of you~ thanks so much for the reply. We are already working with a real estate agent so will not be able to take you up on tyour offer. We had not considered Squier Park, but will definitely check it out. Thanks again!
Flag Mon Aug 20, 2012