Home Buying in Campbell>Question Details

P, Home Buyer in El G.H.E.K.O., Tucson,...

Are there any Areas in Campbell, that have Excellent schools, comparable to Cupertino?

Asked by P, El G.H.E.K.O., Tucson, AZ Mon Jan 26, 2009

I heard from some Friends that there are some areas in Campbell, where price is lower than Cupertino, but the schools are comparale. Is this True ? WHich part of Campbell would this be ?

Answers

12
Depends on your definition of excellent. If you're from Europe or Asia, then even the best public schools in California are a bit of a joke, with infantile standards: no foreign language instruction, no teaching of multiplication or division until 2nd grade for the brighter kids (and third grade for the rest), reading standards in first grade that are barely a notch above ABCs.

Put another way, the Cupertino schools would be considered mediocre in just about any European or advanced Asian country. Anyone moving here from those countries will find that his kids are at least one grade, usually two, ahead of their US counterparts. Keep this in mind when you hear someone boast of high API scores. The bar is set awfully low here.

That said, if you need a (relatively) good school in an affordable area of the South Bay, try the Campbell Union district in south San Jose. Noddin Elementary's pretty good as California schools go: excellent principal, some very good teachers. Anyway, they're doing the best with the hand they've been dealt (infantile curriculum etc).

t
We just went through this exact decision, last summer, moving here from the east coast where we were in an excellent school district. We looked at Cupertino and Campbell too. It was a very difficult decision. In the end, we choose Campbell. Both my kids attend Rolling Hills, 5th and 8th grade, and it has been a very good year. No school is perfect... but for us, it's worked out very well. Here's why we picked Campbell:
1. Our 5th grader could attend middle school. In Campbell, you can choose to do 5th grade in elementary OR middle. Our 5th grader was advanced in math, so he was allowed to take math with the 6th graders (he was one year ahead last year too..)
2. We had heard that although the academics in Cupertino are excellent, many children don't have any time to play with friends because they are so focused on homework and other activities. We wanted to live in a place where the kids had some free time!
3. We think that once we decide to purchase a home, we can get more for our money in Campbell.
4. Campbell has a small-town feel. There is a nice little downtown area, with restaurants and all kinds of other events happening.
One piece of advice...print the school attendance boundary maps and use them when you decide where to live. Many times, I was told that a particular house was in a particular school area, when in fact it was not. You can also go on to the Campbell schools website and type in an address to verify the schools.
Xyz,

I agree with you that many agents don't do a complete job in informing their clients of the pros and cons of each neighborhood. The standard of care that agents should follow is that agents disclose the good and the bad (assuming that they have knowledge of it) of anything that may affect the desirability of a home purchase (that includes schools, noise, drug houses, single story overlay zones etc.). Give the client all the facts and let them make the decision on whether buy the house or not.

Lastly, low attendance district wide (district funds were based on average daily attendance) and the start up of the Discovery school (charter school) further reduced overall district funds which led to the closure of Latimer and the combining of Rodgers middle and Castro middle.
Hi Dave,

As per my search Latimar was closed because of low enrollment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moreland_School_District
I also checked the school location and yes it MAY also be that Latimar was in a central location and easier to divert kids to Bakers and Payne (but I don't think that the school location would have been the main criteria in shutting down Latimar, It surely is the less enrollment in this school - as per the link above).

Why would a school have less enrollment?? I leave it up to the reader to decide on this.

Less enrollment, means less funding to that particular school. Makes it easier for the district officials to decide on which school to close.

I am not sure about the API scores of Latimar, Payne and Anderson (as I never looked into these schools). But closing Payne would not be an option for the district because Payne has an excellent program for kids with disabilities or some speech therapy program (not sure what program, just read somewhere..........)

Bakers and Country lane - good scores, good academic and social activites - so obliviously city will not decide on closing these two.

Choice between Anderson and Latimar...... and Latimar was chosen to close down.

Anyways, my point is...... real estate agent (s)........ do not provide all the information to their client upfront (even when they are aware of it). They usually talk about good schools and do not mention anything about the schools or middle schools that may not be so good..... UNTIL the client asks for it. And this is the main reason I stress for buyers to do their own research on school details.

Xyz,

I think you might be incorrect about the reason for closing Latimer elementary. I recall they closed it because the district needed to make cuts and Latimer made the most sense because the families affected could attend one of the other schools without a huge commute. I believe Latimer was the fourth highest rated school (ahead of Anderson and Payne elementary in the district when it was closed) but because of it's central location, it became the de facto school to close. One of my client's children were at Latimer and now they go to Baker. They were happy at Latimer, but they now have an additional 5 minute drive to Baker (and can no longer walk to school anymore).
Just be careful with Sunnyvale (94087 zipcode) -
Cherry chase ele has a combination of Sunnyvale middle (not considered good). and Homestead high (very good).
Cumberland ele. has a combination of Sunnyvale middle (not considered good) and some go to Homestead high (very good) and some go to Fremont High (not considered to be good ).
No agents will talk about this middle school ......:-)

So basically, for these 2 ele. schools in Sunnyvale, you are looking ONLY for 5 yrs of staying in that neighbourhood. While looking for a house, it always good to look for elemantry and middle school combination - because you need to stay there atleast for 7-8 yrs to build the equity. 8 yrs is a good time to move out to a better high school neighbourhhood and also 8 yrs is a good time for the high school which is not so good to become good........ So you can stay where you are!!!!:)

As for Milpitas ele. schools, some schools have shown recent growth - (as compared to Bakers, country lane, Marshall lane ele in campbell/west sanjose area which have always been good). I would stay away from ele. schools that have shown just few yrs of growth. I usually look at atleast past 5-6 yrs of school API, parent comments on greatschool.net before I deciding on the schools. I also visit open houses, take a outside tour of the schools during school hours (public schools donot have appointment tours, so I just go and take a look from outside during morning hrs to get an idea of how teachers "treat" the kids...... lunch time is a good time to go and peek, to see if the lunch supervisors are really "SUPERVISING"..... I was not happy with the Milpitas school (Sinott). One of the Milpias school ( I think Sinott, not sure though as I visited 1 year back) was right across mountain and there was a big sign at the school office - "Mountain Tiger seen in the neighbourhood". That scared me out!!!!.
Visit the school office , talk to the people/admins there...... .....you will get a general idea of how things work there...........It does help!!!!

Do your home work. Do not rely solely on real estate professionals for giving school feedback - because most of them come back with an answer that they are into real estate business and not school buisness.... ....which is true, but then again its your investment and not theirs - so you have to do your homework well.

Best Luck.
All the answers given by real estate agents are true. All these schools have been equally good in past and still maintaing their standards (in comparison with Cupertino schools) and some have done exceptionally well in last few yrs (like westmont high in campbell).

West San Jose neighbourhood (Moreland school district). Look at their website for school boundaries. Be careful though, cause some schools maybe not be very good. In Moreland Bakers and Country lane have also been excellent. EDS is coming up and has a very high parent involment.

Marshall lane, Forest hill are excellent choice too.

Prospect high and Westmont high are good.

In general, all the CA schools are showing good growth in API scores (else the district closes down the school because it faces state funding issues). Lack of funds have made the district much more strict in taking their academics lightly. Plus the teachers also fear loosing job (lay offs) - if they donot perform well.

Its difficult to describe the neigbourhood - but looking at the school website should give you an idea.
http://www.moreland.k12.ca.us/

I think, the zip codes to make a search are 95129, 95008 (though all may come under these schools).

W. Campbell Ave, Prospect rd, Latimar Ave, Doyle rd, some part of campbell comes in West San Jose school (moreland school) - the main streets are Rincon Ave, Bucknall rd, San Tomas Aquino......

Moreland school closed down their Latimar Ele. school because of funding problem as the school was unable to meet the state standards. (as per some of my internet search).
(this is something no real estate agent will tell you). :-))

If you are looking for Ele. level - I would go for Moreland and Campbell schools. High school (the combination is Prospect high and Westmont high - but still not to the level of Lynbrook high in terms of academic achievement).

Hope this helps.

http://www.moreland.k12.ca.us/

Hope this helps.
P,

West san jose/campbell with Moreland schools (baker, country lane). You might want to also define what is important to you in schools (ie. test scores, teacher/class size ratio, computer usage, sports/pe programs, music, the arts etc) So much of what the Silicon Valley focuses on is test scores. You can have great test scores but have a bad educational experience for your child (focus of school is on improving test scores but not making the kids "well rounded") .
Hi P,

I agree with Mehdi. Forest Hill, Marshall Lane feed into Rolling Hills Middle and are quite strong. Another possibility would be the portions of Campbell served by Cambrian Elementary School District and Leigh/Branham High Schools. Moreland School District serving Campbell, West SJ, parts of Saratoga is also worth a look. Especially true for Country Lane and Baker Elementaries. You can check out the "School Rankings" tab on my website, http://www.dreamsbytheyard.com. Also check out the interactive “School Performance Map”.

Also, check the district websites for attendance area maps and street directories. Please let me know if I can be of any help.

Patrick
(408) 410-9139
http://www.dreamsbytheyard.com
patrick@dreamsbytheyard.com
For elementry schools Marshall Lane and Forest Hill and for middle school Rolling Hills are right at the top of the list. These school are as good as Cupertino schools. As for High School Westmont High has improved a lot in recent years.

Please contact me if you like more information.

Mehdi Safipour
408-857-2709
Hello P,

Generally speaking that is true! However you need to be more specific, are you looking at elementary, middle or high school? Would you be comparing the district or specific schools? for example if you compare Lynbrook high school with schools in Campbell, you're not going to have a comparison, but you can compare fremont high with schools in campbell and you're better off in campbell.
Here is a web site you can use to see all the details: http://www.greatschools.net

I'd be happy to provide more details and specifics if needed.

Ali Moein
(408)439-5748