Home Buying in Denver>Question Details

Cayenna, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

Are termites a big problem in the Denver Metro Area?

Asked by Cayenna, Denver, CO Sun Aug 24, 2008

Answers

13
I have seen termites in Denver. The general inspectors recommended that the buyer have a termite inspection, and in those cases, termites were present. The two neighborhoods I recall this happening in are University Hills and Washington Park. The termite inspectors explained that once in an area, the subterranean termites move from one house to another, sometimes under the paved street.
Cayenna

As you have gathered from various answers, termite occurances are not all that common but it is not to say that they don't ever exist - given optimum conditions.. anything is possible as they say. Case in point, I once heard of a situation of a brand new home having termite damage which was attributted to the lumber used to frame the house already had termites present and somehow the lumber slipped through the cracks and ended up as a wall stud et viola! Surprises are found all over, whether its an old home or a brand new one.

If you ever suspect or concerned about the presence of termites, you should always get it professionally inspected in order to satisy yourself to the condition of any property which you are thinking of purchasing.
I am an appraiser and I never see termites UNLESS it is one of the rare homes with hardwoods in the basement built pre 1940. These homes have the wood over dirt (not on concrete), and it smells musty. You can see the little shards of wood in the corners and against the walls. I've seen two houses like this in Park Hill area of Denver.
Yes, and don't let anyone tell you there aren't termites in Colorado. I live in East Denver about Montview & Yosemite. In the old Moncrief neighborhood across from all the new building in Stapleton. I just found out I have termites & so do 2 of my neighbors that live next to me. I didn't mess around & called Terminix (free inspection). Its gonna be expensive ($1000) to start & who knows how much damage is in my house & how much that is gonna cost. I'm trying to get the word out in my neighborhood & tell people to get they're homes checked. My neighborhood is old & there is a lot of dead trees around.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 23, 2015
One nifty trick I learned from a 'Bug Man' was to look on the floor near the door and even under the door for what looks to be very fine sawdust. If you see this then you might want to be a little questioning because it might not be dust that has collected over the course of time; it could have been last nights dinner for termites.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 28, 2008
I have heard of a few cases of termites. They seem to be a rare occurrence. If you want to talk to an exterminator, I found one that I think is trustworthy (because I called them to my house, and they were honest enough to tell me that my ant problem would go away on its own in a week or so. There wasn't even a charge for them coming out.).

Moore Pest Control Service, Inc. (303) 761-6600

I don't believe most inspectors look for signs of termites. I do think it's a good idea to be familiar with the warning signs, which can be done online (of course!).

Denver's low-bug climate is wonderful. I came here from a place where fleas and ticks were a constant torture for pets, and when I found out there are no fleas and few ticks here in suburbia, I was very happy (I do believe I've seen two fleas in the 15 years I've lived here, but I think they died of loneliness.)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 25, 2008
I have seen termite in properties that I manage here in Denver. They generally do not thrive the way they would in say Arizona but you can find them here. Check the wood, take a picture and ask a exterminator.

David Schmidt
DenCO Property Management
303-722-9688
Termites usually are not an issue unless the wood was imported with termites already.
My buyers just purchased a home in central Denver. It was built in the 50s and the inspector did not find any concerns with termites. One week after moving in we had a warm spring day and large black flying ants started coming up from under the hardwood flooring. After an inspection they found the white termites in the crawl space. This is going to be an expensive fix (around 3k) I have never suggested to my buyers that they get a termite inspection, but heck, they are free so now I am. The problem is that the termite companies are invested in the repairs so I am going to interview a few before I make recommendation.
Hi Cayenna. While termites are not as big a problem in Denver as they are in more humid climates they are increasing due to the wet springs we have had the last few years. We are receiving more termite calls than we have had for many years and unfortunately some have resulted in serious damage. The problem with termites is they are experts at going undetected and a lot of damage is done before it surfaces on the outside. Since most home owners insurance policies don't cover termite damage it can result in thousands of dollars out of pocket to repair the home. Early detection is the key. We have more educational information on termites available at our website.
I've never seen termites in any Denver area homes. I believe inspectors check for termite damage, but I've never seen it noted in any reports. If you are concerned, by all means have an inspection, but termites and a lot of other pests don't thrive here due to Denver's climate and altitude.
Denver is not known to have many instances of termites, substantiated by the fact that HUD does not have any termite inspection requirements. I've yet to see a home with a termite problem. Regardless, it is always good to have an inspector check for any signs of termites or termite damage when inspecting a house. I know some people in Denver place termite traps in the ground around their home as a prevention.
Web Reference: http://www.StefanMax.com