Home Buying in Mundelein>Question Details

Icecream, Home Buyer in Mundelein, IL

Are taxes likely to go down in Mundelein? I am looking at homes with selling prices of 125k with taxes that are 5k. Seems excessive unbalanced.

Asked by Icecream, Mundelein, IL Wed Jan 5, 2011

Answers

4
Icecream,
Did you get an acceptable answer to your question? If you still have concerns about the property tax I may be able to help you. I offer a FREE Market Analysis of your home that can be used if you are protesting your tax bill with the County. I provide this service for any buyer, seller, tenant or homeowner who needs to know the market value of a property. Why not get the information you need when you want it and without any cost or obligation? I usually can provide this information within 48 hours.

Gary Geer
Results Realty USA
My home in Mundelein was valued by the taxing authorities at $265K down from a high of about $320K a few years ago. My property taxes would have been over $8K this year but I got an appraisal that cost a few hundred $ with the value coming in at $235K and my taxes were lowered by over $1K. Based on that I suspect the $125K homes are over appraised as a $125K home should have taxes in the $3,700 range. That being said Lake County, IL has high property taxes and it won't get any better. The government wants what the government wants and as some of us have our property values lowered by appeals it will just cost others more to make up the difference!
Mundelein has three possible taxing bodies. One is in Vernon Hills schools and taxed high, the other one is Mundelein proper and not quite as high on a cost per thousand assessment. I live in unincorporated Freemont township in Mundelein and taxes are a relative bargain! Call me if you are not aligned to an agent and we can discuss your search criteria. Thanks!!
PS if you like my answer, please check best answer and give me a thumbs up.
Most likely not. But there are ways of lowering the taxes through a number of exemptions. And then there is the board of appeals.