Home Buying in Fort Worth>Question Details

L, Home Buyer in Fort Worth, TX

Are stucco homes a good purchase in the Fort Worth area?

Asked by L, Fort Worth, TX Wed Mar 26, 2008

Will they grow in value similar to a traditonal brick home? Will it be any more or less difficult to maintain?

Answers

6
I personally like the stucco homes. I think I'd only buy one in a neighborhood where there are a few built. I wouldn't want to be the only one in the neighborhood. Are you thinking of a new home or pre-existing. Either way always get an inspection on it. Stucco in these areas should be fairly maintenance free. The exception might be paint if you want a different color than natural state. I think with either material you should do periodic checks and make any needed repairs. There have been some problems with EIFS style stucco homes so you want to make sure what style it is. I remember one Relo company a couple of years back would not guarantee repurchase if it was built in EIFS mode.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 1, 2008
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
That depends on the age of the stucco and etc. there has been some changes in the construction of stucco homes. Stucco has become the latest trend for homes, however you need to confirm that this house is not too different that others in the areaI hope your current realtor is explaining these concerns for you... FYI don't purchase a home without a realtor being involved.
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Absolutely. Stucco homes in this part of the country do not have the problems experienced in the Northeast US States. I have a beautiful home for sale in Southlake (in the same vicinity as FW) that is a stucco home with 4100 sq. ft. Stucco homes stand out because the colors stand out.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 24, 2008
there are two kinds of stucco and most of the homes that are under a million dollars are the "fake" stucco--even a lot of those more than 1M--they use a system called EIFS--
this link has good explanation of how it is applied and some info about its characteristics

http://homebuying.about.com/cs/syntheticstucco/a/eifs_facts.htm

some of these homes are 10-20 years old and have had no problems with issues like mold behind the finish or deterioration from water intrusion--most of the problems come if the foundation does not lift the bottom of the stucco above the splash lne or standing water line so that water "wicks" its way into the acoustic---but it can be difficult to tell if newer homes constructed in this manner will have problems...and any moisture that has been trapped between the exterior and the interior will ultimately cause framing rot since it cannot evaporate...

years ago the mfg of the stucco material had problems with what it produced that led to major problems with mold/water damage--there were MANY of these homes on the market that came under the relocation process--
at that time companies were buying homes from their tranferred employees if they had difficulty selling them--many of these homes had BIG bills dues to damage from the stucco exteriors--around here the companies STOPPED buying any stucco homes--this is one reason why they became sort of a drag on the market---now in California and other areas there was perhaps not the failure rate problem like in TX

Even real stucco homes take a lot of care
Hardie Plank siding comes in a stucco finish--but even that is not fool or maintenance proof...

most "stucco" homes are harder to sell--stay on the market longer--and probably have more price reduction than a brick counterpart--
while I like the look of them, I have pretty much decided we won't ever buy one--unless it was the real deal...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 23, 2008
It is all relative. I recommend letting the property stand on its own merit based on the comparables. You may then notice a trend in regard to stucco vs. traditional in the specific neighborhood you are concerned with.
My best, Josh
Web Reference: http://www.teamhodnett.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 26, 2008
Actually Stucco is a better material for Dallas area since its extra insulation keeps homes cooler in summer and warm in winter and our warm/dry weather is perfect for Stucco. Since last decade or two it's gaining popularity especially in luxury home market before that people believed in urban myths of Stucco related issues that originated from cheap stucco siding in cold and wet areas. You know Dallas market is all about sheep mentality to stay limited to cookie cutter housing. I have bought and sold many Stucco houses and they are easy to sell as they stand out in our tract style housing market of bricks. Still it's not that common in below 400,000 homes because good quality Stucco installation is more expensive than bricks. Personally, I am a California transplant so I love Stucco homes and their circular arches and clean lines. My house is 20 years old and I've not had to wash or paint it.