Home Buying in Sewickley>Question Details

jonelle55, Home Buyer in Sewickley, PA

Are septic tanks and well water common in Sewickly? Are there any requirements in place to have conversions to public systems in place in the future?

Asked by jonelle55, Sewickley, PA Wed Apr 24, 2013

Just looking into a few houses but they mostly seem to have oil heat, septic tanks and well water. I am familiar with none of these.

Answers

2
The actual town of Sewickley has very few, if any septic tanks which I have run into. Nearby Edgeworth only has a handful remaining as well.

We recently had a situation with a "grandfathered-in" septic system where the town had not previously required a connection to city sewer lines. However the septic system failed a test during home inspections, and due to today's regulations, the state DEP would not authorize a new system. In the end, the home owner was forced to connect to city sewers in order to sell/transfer the property as it is very difficult to close a loan on a property with a failed septic system.

If you are referring to the local School District area (Quaker Valley) then your mileage may vary wildly depending on exactly where the property is located. Many of the surrounding towns including Bell Acres, Allepo and Sewickley Hills have been systematically upgrading their infrastructure, often first bringing in water, then later sanitary lines and natural gas. Your best bet is to call the local municipal hall for more information regarding a particular property. Tap in fees are typically the responsibility of the home owner, and can vary wildly - or be flat.
Web Reference: http://peterandalexis.com
Thank you very much for this information! I looked again and the one I was most interested it is actually in Bell Acres.
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Septic tanks and well water are common and accepted in rural areas--if they are in good working condition. A septic system should be able to pass a dye test. A well should have a water quality and water quantity (flow) test. You should arrange these tests yourself, not based on anyone else's recommendation. Often wells in western PA require a water softener and/or filter (salt pellets or reverse osmosis) because of hard ground water. Wells and septic systems should be at least 100 feet apart. Generally, if you are within 150 to 200 feet of public utilities, the municipality or lender might require you to tap in. Oil heat is common in areas without natural gas. It can be expensive, depending on the price of oil, so ask to see the yearly bills and then make allowances in your budget. Buy oil for the year when it is least expensive, often right after Labor Day, but not always. Make sure the oil storage tank is in the basement or crawlspace (not buried in the yard) and that it is in good (not rusty) condition. The last thing you want is a leaking underground oil storage tank with a well water supply.