Home Buying in Paso Robles>Question Details

Dearborn1, Home Buyer in Orlando, FL

Are property taxes in California higher for non-residents? I am looking at buying a retirement home now, to move into in 10-11 years. Advice welcome!

Asked by Dearborn1, Orlando, FL Sun Sep 16, 2012

Answers

5
Since property tax base value is determined at "time of transfer of ownership" in most cases, your decision to purchase property now while the local market values are the lowest we have experienced in years is a good move. In 10 years at your retirement, market values may increase resulting in a higher tax base value.
Feel free to email me if you like more information regarding this subject. I have 9 years experience working with local property taxes and can answer all your questions.
Stacy George-Keller Williams Realty
stacygeorge@kw.com
Taxes are the same - resident or non-resident. As someone who moved from Florida to California I am sure you will find the cost of living similar in many ways. If you would like more specific information on the differences or a weekly list of homes for sale, please give me a call. 805-400-0648, Christine Realtor with Farrell Smyth, Inc. Real Estate.
As noted, property taxes are based upon property value not ownership. The important things you need to consider have to do with your strategy leading up to your future relocation. Buying now while prices and interest rates are at rock bottom is a smart move. Exactly what to buy and what to do with it for ten years gives you a lot of options to consider. The first important decision should be to chose a local agent experienced with your situation which isn't uncommon here on the Central Coast.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
Taxes in California are the same for anyone buying a home, resident or non-resident. The rate is 1% of the sales price plus whatever bonds and such a community has. Here in San Luis Obispo County that adds about .02% to .05%. Prices have come down considerably in the last few years and right now we're seeing prices starting to move upward as we're seeing multiple offers on properties. Interest rates are at all time lows and rents are ascending so it seems to be an excellent time to buy a retirement home and rent it out until you're ready to move into it. We'd be happy to help you in the process. 805-709-7646 or 805-709-8535 or team@morristeam.com.
California State Property Tax is 1% of the sale price for everyone. Proposition 13. Please let me know if you have any additional questions by contacting me directly at 805-471-0828 or david@DNorwood.com – You can view all of the available homes in Real Time in San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara at http://dnorwood.com - Free Home Search Tab.

David Norwood – Central Coast Real Estate.

Taxes in California http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_13_(1978)
Web Reference: http://dnorwood.com