Steve, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

Are modular homes less dependable than traditional homes? Are they lower quality?

Asked by Steve, Boston, MA Thu May 1, 2008

Answers

9
Here is a good link that compares the two http://www.modulartoday.com/comparison.html, talk to a local agent they will have more info about prices and homes in the area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 1, 2008
Dlinks, I think what you are doing is what Trulia considers spamming. You can't advertise like you are doing. You are pulling up every old question on modular homes and posting this link.
They are probably more dependable and there are other benefits
to Modular Homes. http://modularhomesnetwork.com/modularhome-benefits.asp
Think about it. They need to be built to be loaded onto a truck and moved which a regular home would never
survive. Plus it is build using the latest technology and in a
controlled environment.
They are not lesser quality or dependable. There are many communities that are manufactured or modular built. The are built either to state code or federal code, so then the ownership is different from a stick built home with a deed. In New York, Manufactured homes come with a title of origin, Modular homes come with a Certificate of Occupancy. I sell quite a few of these in Calverton at Foxwood Village which is a 55+ gated community, and we have had engineers inspect and say they are better built than many stick built homes.
The biggest difference between a modular and a site built comes down to 2 things. 1 you may need a lot more supports down cellar as the modular is built in 2 halves and 2 halves do not ( to the best of my knowledge) have the strength a single beam would. That only means that you can't expect 2 separate beams to lock together with the structural ability of a one piece with no joint. and 2 you will find a connector in the wiring harness in the cellar where the 2 halves are put together.

Now a doublewide is very different. It is a trailer sitting on iron beams that have been known to rust away. Sitting on supports that can move, and often has floors made of particle board that is known to break.

A modular costs about $15-25k more here over a doublewide. It is worth it. Sometimes a ranch can be built cheaper on site, sometimes a house is much cheaper as a modular. What you need to look at are the specs. Are the floors made of 1 1/4" planking? Does it have anderson (with all the toys) windows? What kind of doors, how thick are the walls, what thickness drywall, what r-value insulation and so on.

For myself, If I was to buy new I would rather look at a quad-lock Insulating Concrete Forms ( or other mfgr) concrete poured in foam block walls built house. Very energy efficient, lower fire insurance, much quieter, and best of all, it will not rot or be eaten by bugs during your lifetime.
I had a closing last year. It was an FHA. The modular home was plain on the outside but inside it was gorgeous! Upgrades galore, split bedroom plan, etc. The FHA appraiser called it a double wide right in front of the buyer's agent who was there with the buyers doing inspections at the same time. Even though we had certification that it was a modular he refused to take that into account. He was one of the old timey ones that needs to get out of the business. The younger guy (his apprentice) was a little more open-minded but in the end the old dude (I am 67 so I can call him old) won. I also sent comps.

You might want to know something about FHA. Once a case number is assigned to a listing and an appraisal that number stays with it. And you can't appeal it. Of, course, the seller knew that if she put it back on the market we would have the same problem if someone else went FHA because that "albatross" number could easily be pulled up.

To make a long story short the seller had to bring $14,000 to the closing because the appraiser didn't know the difference and there are still a lot like him around.

I must note though; there are a lot of great appraisers out there. I am not trashing appraisers, just that one.
I have seen numerous modular homes....you can't tell the difference. The constuction has come a LONG way since they first started building them!
Like anything else you buy - you should compare before you buy. There are some Very high quality modulars and some not-so-high quality (same as stick-built, btw). You will most likely pay More for the higher quality one.

Think of it this way, modulars are built under very consistent conditions. If a board needs 3 nails in it, it will have all 3 nails and all 3 will be where they should be. In some ways this could be much better than a 'hung-over' framer.... ;)
No, well-built modular homes are not less dependable and they are not lower quality than traditional "stick built" homes. Modular homes sometimes have a bit of a tough reputation partly because people confuse modular homes and mobile homes. Take care, Jon
Web Reference: http://www.bowenboston.com