Denise, Home Buyer in 10036

Are individual condo unit inspections customary in NYC?

Asked by Denise, 10036 Sat Nov 12, 2011

I'm interested in putting an offer on condo. I was prepared to get a home inspection on the unit, but I've just heard in NYC paying for individual unit inspections isn't necessary/ customary unless the condo is in total ruins. Does anyone know if this is true and if so why? Thank you!!

Answers

13
Danica Cordell-Reeh’s answer
It is not customary however if the apartment requires work more people are doing them or if it is in a brownstone that looks like it needs work. I recently purchase a coop and had it inspected before offering. I learned what was not up to code, what windows needed work, which electrical outlets required grounding etc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 12, 2011
For peace of mind as it is a condo and not a co-op an inspection might be a good idea especially if it looks like it needs updating or some things are not working properly.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 14, 2011
Customary or not, if it was me I would want an inspection. An inspection is a small insurance payment on a large financial investment. Once you buy the condo, "you bought it" and you are stuck with any issues you find out later. Why not find them out before you buy?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 12, 2011
you are from MA and NYC is a VERY different market. Units here usually often have their own water heaters or furnaces so you are paying for an inspection of paint, and appliances and tile grout
Flag Thu Mar 24, 2016
Denise, it is not customary but people are becoming more aware that hiring a professional inspector is the way to go! Not all surprises are good and it is an amazing feeling to find something wrong PRIOR to closing so it can get squared away.
It is NOT customary but...You will not believe what I found in condos/coops during my inspections. Yes, if this is building I can't look at the structure, heating, building plumbing and building electric but I can look at the problems inside the unit. Plus, usually cost of this inspection is much less than the cost of inspecting house.

Yuriy Goldstein
All Right Home Inspection
http://www.AllRightHomeInspection.com
Never. This is something I've never heard of. Each condo is different, but if they are asking for this, it is not standard.
That is correct, as a home inspector generally looks at structural, plumbing and electrical for the structure, which the engineer will not have access to in a condo building. The inspector can however look at your unit, which some 1st time homebuyers do have done.

Marco Gomez
NYS Associate Broker
Keller Williams Landmark II
marco.gomez@gmail.com
hi Denise. Condo inspections are not at all customary in NYC. That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't do it but your inspector may not have access to things he may want to inspect. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 13, 2011
Thank you, so much everyone!! Your feedback has reconfirmed my decision. Now, I'm looking for a good home inspector Manhattan if you have any recommendations.

Thanks again!!
Hi Denise:
Although not generally customary, it is done. The primary reason that it is not customary is that many of the things that could go wrong, are the responsibility of the co-op/condo building. Like the roof, the boiler, broken pipes in the walls that belong to the co-op/condo board to repair. What then is left are the specifics of your apartment like leaking sinks, outlefts that don't work, cracks in the ceiling etc...most of which you can see at a walk-through anyway. This is very different than purchasing a single or multi-family home where all those items are 100% your responsibility. I always bring it up to potential buyers, indicating the above. One piece to note is that inspectors here are not allowed to provide estimate costs of repair, it is against the law. This is very different than other states. And also note, they are not always correct (i.e. roof that they said should last 5 more years and lasted 9 months for example). Buyers do need to be happy and comfortable with what they are purchasing, and if they want an inspector, they should have one.
Inspections are always recommended...
If you were my client I would recommend the inspection. The inspector may alert you to a defect, safety hazard, illegality, infestation, or other problem that you may otherwise overlook. Consider the purchase price of your condo, isn't in worth the price of an inspection to be sure.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
Well it isn't typical but the reason why you would want a home inspection would be to check for poor construction. Some builders cut costs with inadequate ducting which could lead to poor ventilation and odors within the building.