Home Buying in Grafton>Question Details

Kip, Home Buyer in Brookfield, WI

Are holding tank septic systems (HTSS) problematic as opposed to dispersal mound systems?

Asked by Kip, Brookfield, WI Mon Aug 23, 2010

Looking at a house that has an HTSS. The property failed a perc test in 2000 and when the house was built in 2003 the builder had to put on an HTSS. The tank is concrete 5000 gallons. It's interesting because the house across the street has a dispersal mound system installed.

Answers

2
I live in Grafton on the Milwaukee river and have a holding tank. I don't find it any more problematic than paying a utility bill. I have it set up with a local hauler to empty on his route or come when I call. It comes with the territory of living on a shoreline property. It's rather common in Ozaukee county, even on Lake Michigan with the million dollar homes. BTW ~ a 5000 gallon is a nice large one, most are only 3000 - 4000 gallon. Costs vary, but you can find haulers that empty per visit (average $110 - $135) or by the gallon 3.5 - 4 cents per gallon. Make a really equitable offer, have it emptied and inspected and make your move from Brookfield. You'll surely enjoy living in here ~ it's like living in the country with great metro commute. Shopping nice, schools great, cultural diversity abundant, many medical and hospital choices nearby and with the amenities of Milwaukee 10 - 15 minutes drive tops.
Engineered septic systems are more approved in Wisconsin than a few years ago when the choice was "Mound" or "standard." Holding tank is not really a septic system. It's just a tank that holds the effluent until the honey wagon comes to suck it out. That expense is what makes them not very attractive... a last chance option to build. I don't know the exact numbers, but if it's going to cost you $.25 for every flush, you'll understand the saying "If it's yellow, let it mellow, when it's brown, flush it down." There is a possibility that with the new rules, the Holding tank could be replaced with an engineered system. Again, a big expense.