Home Buying in Roseville>Question Details

Erose2k, Home Buyer in Roseville, CA

Are corner houses less desirable?

Asked by Erose2k, Roseville, CA Wed Jun 13, 2012

Are corner houses less desirable for potential buyers and renters?

Answers

12
Jim Walker’s answer
I have a client that rejected a corner house because of the idea that it would get extra traffic.
For the property in question, it would not have been the case because there was only one entrance to the subdivision, which was on the opposite side of the community. No driver would logically choose to turn this corner to take the long way into or out of the subdivision, except for the newsboy, garbage truck, and postal carrier. Nonetheless it was ruled out simply because it was a corner. (ergo high imaginary traffic count) This is real estate. Logic is optional, not required.

Oh Keith, John Souerby mentioned setbacks a week before you said that no agent had mentioned "easement" . Though a setback and an easement that you described are for different purposes, I think John deserves credit for mentioning a setback.
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
Buying a home is all about personal preference. Working with varied buyers and their tastes is part of the fun of Real Estate.I have some clients that absolutely will not purchase a corner lot and others that seek them out for all the reasons previously mentioned. If this is an investment for you a corner lot may mean more maintenance which often falls on the landlord unless you find a responsible tenant willing to take care of it. Best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 13, 2012
Hi! I think it comes down to a personal preference and how busy the corner is. Some people look for corner lots because they need the extra street parking, or want to create an RV parking spot on the side of the house. I hope this helps! Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!

Dyane Riemer
Connect Realty
916-521-8003
DRE#01713481
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 13, 2012
I find it interesting that not a single one of these Agents or Brokers mentioned the concept of an easement. The reason most corner lots are bigger is because the city/county holds easement right over the edges of the property. If the city/county ever decides it wants to widen the street or add a turn lane they can take as much as 10 feet off the edge of the corner lot without having to pay the homeowner. Make sure you research local laws and city plans to get the best idea of the possibility of this happening. If the corner lot exists in an older neighborhood with the surrounding area fully built up then the street will most likely not be widened. If it is a new neighborhood and there are plans to add a lot of shopping around instead of more residential neighborhoods then it is possible that they will want to widen the roads to handle the extra traffic of a shopping area.
city easements are typically a "utility easement" used for gas, electric, sewer, etc... and on all lots not just corner lots. I imagine it's pretty rare that they would just take your property, but i guess it could be possible in certain cases. more than likely it would fall under "eminent domain" . but checking with the planning dept is a great idea.
Flag Wed Jun 20, 2012
Corner lots have positives and negatives attribute. Corners tend to have larger front yards and smaller back yards, more RV space for parking, greater access if you want to put in a pool, subject to more traffic noise, better if you like to decorate for holidays, or display gardening and landscaping, twice the traffic of being on one street, and probably more dogs stopping by!!!
Being a corner lot is essentially irrelevant. Some corner lots are larger, however they may have mostly front yard with no backyard. Or it could be the other way around. Basically it boils down to the same thing as every other home. Is the lot useable? Is it on a busy road? Does the home have curb appeal?
Corner lots provide additional street parking which cam be more desirable of you do home entertaining. Stay off busy streets if possible
Whether the corner lot is big or small, the key word is "setback." Setback is the distance from the structure to the street. As others have said, a corner lot is generally desired but a corner lot on a busy street can be the polar opposite - a noise nightmare and a threat to privacy. You can't do much about the setback distance, but you can install fencing, shrubbery, and other noise and visual barriers to improve the situation.
I once had a very large corner lot and kids walked through it to cut the corner on their way to school. They actually wore a pathway into the grass, plus dropped trash and sometimes just plopped down under the trees in the front lawn to hang out. I installed a white picket fence - problem solved.
In my experience a corner lot is usually larger, and may accommodate those looking for RV access so depending on your buyer it can be most desirable. As a rental, it can mean much more maintenance. Lyon Real Estate has a Rental Department dedicated to rentals ~ LYONRENTALS.COM which may help you regarding property rental values and management. Hope this helps.

Tassa Garland-Drake
DRE 01877934
Actually, a lot of buyers prefer them.. there are many benifits to a corner lot. More usable space, no neighbors to one side, Accessability, etc.... So, it really comes down to each persons needs.
Thanks for your question!
Quite the contrary, corner homes are deened more desirable because the lot sizes are typically larger. The only exception to this might be if you are at the corner of two busy streets!
Usually they are more desirable because lots tend to be bigger, but of course it depends on the corner.