Home Buying in North Andover>Question Details

Jim Leduc, Home Buyer in 01867

Are condo associations required to provide local town/city government with things like the HOA budget,?

Asked by Jim Leduc, 01867 Fri May 29, 2009

minutes, and other condo docs? I was wondering if a trip to town hall would get me the HOA info I need for a certain condo complex.

Help the community by answering this question:


The best way to get the documentation needed is to contact the HOA or management company. To my knowledge there is no record of such with the town.
Web Reference: http://www.thehousewiz.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 9, 2010
Hi Jim- Correct answers below...
I've put together numerous condo docs, and budgets for them.
When a condo is first getting approved by the State, and before it is given the OK to break ground, the condo docs, including all budgets and rules, must be recorded at the Registry.
Often times the town's will require these docs as well- for the Planning Board, etc.
However, after that- there is no enforcement of any of these rules by the Town, generally.
And, the condo board can change their own rules- and the Town will know nothing about it.

So, best bet might be to call the Registry and see if they would share the info with you. They should.
If I can be of any help, with financing or anything else, please let me know.

Ken L.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 5, 2010
No, there is no requirement in MA (unlike some other states) to have the documents and budgets approved by local or state officials thus they would not be available at town hall.

MA General Law requires condominium documents be recorded at the appropriate registry of deeds. They are typically available for download from all Massachusetts' registries for free. If the condominium is a corporation, the by-laws portion of the documents might be part of the State corporate filings but this is unusual.

Minutes, financial and certain other documents are available to unit owners and mortgage holders from the Association.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 4, 2010
Jim - The documents will be with the Association or the Association's management company. Many have them online for a fee. Now there are some that if you do not have an executed contract for purchase will not release them. They are, in a sense, the property of the Association and the owners.

But you could make friends with someone and they could give them to you.
Web Reference: http://www.jdavidryan.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 29, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer