Home Buying in Pennsauken>Question Details

Tom Lange, Home Buyer in Mount Laurel, NJ

Are code officials in Pennsauken fair to investors or do they evenly and accurately apply relevant codes when doing CO inspections? Avoid Pennsauken?

Asked by Tom Lange, Mount Laurel, NJ Mon Aug 16, 2010

Answers

2
Ines De La Cruz, ABR, CRS ’s answer
Hello Tom,
Thank you for your question.
I just had an investor client who bought in Pennsauken.
My best advice is be nice as usual. Everytime I called I was very appreciative of the answers received.
Follow their instructions and write down the name of the people you talked to. If there any issues or questions call that person.
Willingboro and Pennsauken are some of the most detailed inspection I have seen.
Ines
Web Reference: http://www.inesdelacruz.com
Many items are subjective in CO inspections and depend upon the inspector, the mood of the day, and the schedule for the day. That's true for many towns. Some inspectors have a power attitude and can make inspections more difficult if and when one does or says anything that does not respect their power. That's not true of all inspectors. Other inspectors are just really nice people doing their job as fairly as possible with good intent on keeping the residents safe. I have learned to bite my tongue and smile a lot during inspections .....even when my client flunked an inspection for failing because there was a water bottle in the fridge.. no joke! The property was in a townhouse development that is well maintained. The unit being inspected had been painted, carpets cleaned, and professional cleaning company had come in and cleaned everything from top to bottom. There was one sofa that the sellers left for the buyers at n/c. The town inspector cited the property as being incompletely vacant because there was bottled water in the perfectly clean gleaming fridge and the sofa. We needed a notarized letter from the buyers saying that it was OK to leave the sofa for them. I had to sign that I removed the water. I bit my tongue, smiled, made the extra trips necessary to get this paperwork signed, and got the CO (and yes, there was an extra fee due.) Never mind what I said when I got in the car after I got the CO.

Best advice for getting a CO: Smile and bite your tongue. If you have a reasonable town and a reasonable inspector, no problem...you would be pleasant anyway. If you have a power monster for an inspector and a town attitude that stinks, you find the discipline to smile anyway, do what they say, and get through it.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ