Home Buying in 94521>Question Details

Slowfoodisgo…, Home Buyer in Concord, CA

Are city planners open to in-law units?

Asked by Slowfoodisgood, Concord, CA Mon Oct 29, 2012

We'd like to buy a home in the Concord area with a lot large (just) enough to put a manufactured home in the back as an in-law unit. How is the City of Concord for giving planning permission for such a thing?

Help the community by answering this question:


Overall, this is the sort of thing that cities do not want to approve in neighborhoods zoned for single family residences. Additionally, MANUFACTURED homes come with a number of restrictions and many cities do not want to see these in normal neighborhoods under any circumstances. If you are referring to a MODULAR home, that would be a different scenario and, if applicable, would stand a better chance of being allowed.

To understand the difference, see the following link:

Additionally, actually getting a modular home into a backyard in an existing neighborhood could pose some real challenges.

As stated below, contact Concord’s planning department.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 31, 2012
City of Concord is easy (compared to Pleasant Hill and WC), depends on a bunch of factors in regards to the subdivision, zoning, and property statistics. Here is a link for the planning department. http://www.ci.concord.ca.us/citygov/dept/planning/

Go 49ers!

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 29, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer